Tracking Down Proxmox 8 Hardware Error Reporting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chereszabor

Jul 3, 2020
Hello,
I am running a home server with the following specs:
Mobo: Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T
CPU: AMD Epyc 7401p
RAM: 8x Samsung M393A4K40CB2-CTD (32GB@2666MT/s)
Other devices: (Nvidia 2070, SAS HBA, PCIe to 4x NVME card)

I recently upgraded from Proxmox 7 to 8, and around the same time I also upgraded the RAM in my system from 8x 32GB@2133 to 8x 32GB@2666. I then noticed that my system began spewing the following Syslog message once in a while:

mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

There is no other details associated with the message in the Syslog. I've tried using ras-mc-ctl and edac-util, both are not reporting any errors.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should try to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks!

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
This does not really sound like anything related to Proxmox. That is a generic Linux error. That's very likely going to be a memory issue of some kind..

Does the remote management on the board give any useful hints?

chereszabor

Jul 3, 2020
You're correct, I was getting errors in IPMI, however, didn't realize that the error buffer ran out of storage and wasn't being updated.

Here is the error logged in IPMI:
|Record| |GenID|GenID | |Sensor| |EvtDir|Event|Event|Event| ID | Type | TimeStamp |(Low)|(High)|EvMRev| Type |Sensor #| Type |Data1|Data2|Data3|
------|------|-----------|-----|------|------|------|--------|------|-----|-----|-----|
0e37h| 02h| 65031dd7h | 21h| 00h| 04h| 0ch| 00h| 6fh| 00h| 0ah| 00h|

Also, forgot to mention, I did reach out to Asrock Tech Support, they advised me to test the memory in pairs via memtest86. I am trying to avoid that approach as each memory swap requires 30 minutes of disassembly/reassembly.