TP-Link TL-SG3210X-M2 Managed Switch (8x2.5Gbps + 2x10Gbps)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
Does anyone have the TP-Link SG3210X-M2 managed switch? I'm curious to hear what peoples thoughts are on it. This is the non-PoE version of the SG3210XHP-M2 switch. The cost of the SG3210X-M2 is around $200 less in Canada compared to the SG3210XHP-M2. It should also be quieter than the PoE version since it's fanless. It's seems like pretty good value compared to other switches with similar specs and appears to be a direct competitor to the MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN switch which is priced similarly.

Here's the product link:

TIA.

pacnwsoundstream

Nov 19, 2022
I don't think the switch is available yet. I hope it has a lower failure rate than the 3210XHP-M2

I will be getting one if it releases soon. I was going to buy the mikrotik but I'd rather have this one from tp link.

Last edited:

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
I don't think the switch is available yet. I hope it has a lower failure rate than the 3210XHP-M2

I will be getting one if it releases soon. I was going to buy the mikrotik but I'd rather have this one from tp link.
It's available at a few online retailers in Canada. I actually placed an order for one a couple of days ago. I was also considering the one from MikroTik but I didn't care much for the design. I also didn't like that the MiktroTik switch has the power connector on the front. The TP-Link switch was around $20 more for me.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Been eyeing the TPLink SG3210X-M2 too but can't find it at any of the US retailers. I wonder when it might be available.

One key difference I found between this and the MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN is noticeable power consumption difference, at least as stated on paper .

TPLink SG3210X-M2 has flat 15W (max) power , whereas MikroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN is 21W (ideal, nothing connected) and 34W (max) - almost the double of TPLink.

Anybody knows why there is a big disparity - I would assume they are using same Marvell PHY, no?

Reactions: WeirdG

pacnwsoundstream

Nov 19, 2022
I have been eyeing the 3210X-MP for quite some time. The only information for the longest time was this. It wasn't until recently the pages were added to the tp link site. Same for the 16 port 2.5gb Poe variant. The 3210X-M2 was publicly visible for like 24 hours,then hidden again. You can only see it if you have the direct link. Most all other models include a buy now button. This is why I think the north American release has not happened yet.

I wonder if the Canadian stores actually are shipping them or just listed it early. We're about to Q1 2024 so I wouldn't doubt it not being in stock but will be soon.

Last edited:

LaPronk

Jan 2, 2024
They seem to be semi-available in Canada; I ordered mine from ShopRBC, as a backorder. Had it about 2 weeks now, seems to be working fine. I also bought it as don't care for the new design of the Mikrotiks. I guess they're designing for the tinkerer/homelab market where they will be lab devices on a desk and the front power plug won't be an issue, but for those who rack we really need the plugs on the back.

CLI on the TP-Link is IOS-like, though there doesn't seem to be a proper CLI guide anywhere from TP-Link but the guides for their other switches should get you 95% of the way there. If you're using the web config, it's the same as the rest of their Omada line (Same as Simulator Here for the 3210XHP, just without the PoE.)

Overall, I'm happy with it so far, especially given how much cheaper it was. If there's one thing I'm concerned about, it would be getting future firmware updates for it. Unlike Mikrotik, TP-Link has a pretty lousy track record with software support in my experience. If updates are released at all, they're often only posted on one regional version of their site (eg. CA but not US, or vice-versa.)

If there's any specific questions you have about it, I can try to answer.

Reactions: WeirdG

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
They seem to be semi-available in Canada; I ordered mine from ShopRBC, as a backorder. Had it about 2 weeks now, seems to be working fine. I also bought it as don't care for the new design of the Mikrotiks. I guess they're designing for the tinkerer/homelab market where they will be lab devices on a desk and the front power plug won't be an issue, but for those who rack we really need the plugs on the back.

CLI on the TP-Link is IOS-like, though there doesn't seem to be a proper CLI guide anywhere from TP-Link but the guides for their other switches should get you 95% of the way there. If you're using the web config, it's the same as the rest of their Omada line (Same as Simulator Here for the 3210XHP, just without the PoE.)

Overall, I'm happy with it so far, especially given how much cheaper it was. If there's one thing I'm concerned about, it would be getting future firmware updates for it. Unlike Mikrotik, TP-Link has a pretty lousy track record with software support in my experience. If updates are released at all, they're often only posted on one regional version of their site (eg. CA but not US, or vice-versa.)

If there's any specific questions you have about it, I can try to answer.
Thanks for the feedback. With shipping ShopRBC cost a bit more, so I ordered from ATS Computer Systems instead. Waiting for my order to ship still. I also agree with you on the design of the MikroTik switch. I didn't care for the design or that it has a power connector on the front. I'm planning to put the TP-Link switch in a rack and I think that'll work better for that.

Last edited:

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
My switch was finally delivered today. I quickly opened it up and took a few pics of the internals. Unfortunately I noticed my camera lens was dirty after I put it back together again and set it up, so apologies for the potato quality images. I think I captured everything though.

Attachments

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
I finally got around to completing my home network project. I converted all of the telephone jacks to network ports since my home came with Cat5E cabling installed. I received a second 2.5Gbps ethernet to USB adapter in the mail today, so I was able to finally test the network speed between two of my computers (Mac Mini and MacBook Pro) connected to the TP-Link switch. I have a combination of Cat5E and Cat6A cable connecting the computers to the TP-Link switch. When I ran an iperf test, I was able to reach a max speed of 2.36 Gbits/sec. :cool:

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12.12.47 AM.png

The TP-Link switch performs great so far! I've just run into one issue though. It seems when I connect a device to one of the ports, the MAC address of that device is locked to the port. If I connect a different device with a new and unknown MAC address to that same port, that device won't be able to connect to the network. When I go to the TP-Link management console and check the MAC address assigned to the port, it shows the MAC address of the previous device, not the new and unknown MAC address of the new device connected to that port. The only way I can get the switch to update the MAC address assigned to that port is by rebooting it, which seems odd. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd appreciate the help. TIA.

Last edited:

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I finally got around to completing my home network project. I converted all of the telephone jacks to network ports since my home came with Cat5E cabling installed. I received a second 2.5Gbps ethernet to USB adapter in the mail today, so I was able to finally test the network speed between two of my computers (Mac Mini and MacBook Pro) connected to the TP-Link switch. I have a combination of Cat5E and Cat6A cable connecting the computers to the TP-Link switch. When I ran an iperf test, I was able to reach a max speed of 2.36 Gbits/sec. :cool:

View attachment 34346

The TP-Link switch performs great so far! I've just run into one issue though. It seems when I connect a device to one of the ports, the MAC address of that device is locked to the port. If I connect a different device with a new and unknown MAC address to that same port, that device won't be able to connect to the network. When I go to the TP-Link management console and check the MAC address assigned to the port, it shows the MAC address of the previous device, not the new and unknown MAC address of the new device connected to that port. The only way I can get the switch to update the MAC address assigned to that port is by rebooting it, which seems odd. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd appreciate the help. TIA.
Sounds like port security is turned on. In Cisco parlance it's called sticky Mac if I recall.
Port security in your home/lab is probably overkill.
Here is a tplink faq that should help.

Reactions: WeirdG and blunden

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
Thanks, I checked that last night but it showed that port security was already disabled by default.

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 9.28.55 AM.png

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Maybe enable, apply and then disable, apply the port security. It is possible there is a stuck value in the device.
Also try a reboot.
Otherwise factory reset the switch and then lastly, open a ticket with the vendor.

Reactions: blunden and WeirdG

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
Maybe enable, apply and then disable, apply the port security. It is possible there is a stuck value in the device.
Also try a reboot.
Otherwise factory reset the switch and then lastly, open a ticket with the vendor.
I actually tried the first thing you mentioned 20 minutes ago. Will test in a bit. If that doesn't work, I'll try to factory reset. I'm also in touch with TP-Link support regarding the issue via their community forum. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: slidermike

AdriftAtlas

Jan 21, 2023
Why did they put a 120VAC PSU inside when the PSU is outputting 12VDC (the PSU board is labeled)? It only pulls 15W, it doesn't need an AC PSU. It would have been a lot smaller too.

This is a bummer because I was hoping for a 2.5G Omada switch to connect to my 12VDC mini UPS. All of their EAPs have 5.5mm 12VDC barrel connectors so alternative power supplies could be used.

I could find a molex connector that fits and make a 5.5mm DC barrel pigtail bypassing the PSU. That'd likely void the warranty though.