Total beginner here. How to view view sites visited on router/redirect devices using VPN?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72119
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
D

Deleted member 72119

I have CenturyLink for internet and using their modem which is a Zyxel C4000LZ. I’m not looking to block content I’m just wanting to see websites visited. I enabled website history but VPN’s are being used I assume because what’s listed as sites visited aren’t actual websites. So I need some help. I don't know much about this sort of thing but do know how to navigate the router page. I guess I need to figure out a way to redirect the devices using VPN's to something like OpenDNS or NextDNS? The picture is showing the settings it appears I have access to.

Attachments

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
There's no easy way to force dns change from outside vpn service.
To see what websites you visited, your vpn whatever needs to use your own DNS server.

You either need to change vpn settings to use your own dns server, or your router/service would need to have an override based on destination ip.

Most companies block vpn tunnels that aren't their own; and use barracuda or similar filtering systems that grant you visibility into users.
There are some docker applications that will act as your filtering device like ad-guard, or crowdsec and such
GitHub - AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome: Network-wide ads & trackers blocking DNS server (example), then its a question of having users use your server as gateway, and dns server.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
It also depends on the VPN configuration. If the VPN is a full tunnel, then all your gateway will see is a bunch of encrypted traffic that's not decrypted until it hits the VPN server.

As CyklonDX said, you'd need to do what companies often do and hard block outbound traffic using the ports/protocols of the various VPNs.

D

Deleted member 72119

Hmm yep this is all beyond me. The only reason I'm even needing to see the website activity is a crazy story that involves an ex that I have a child and home with (separate dwellings same internet being used) but have reason to believe he will flee with the child. Police can't do anything if there isn't a crime. I'm just trying to stay a step ahead. Sounds like crazy drama bs I know....and it is.

D

Deleted member 72119

My internet provider don't use VPN's they said. Individuals using my internet are.....ex

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
The story/drama makes me less willing to help, as i do not know the story (neither do i want to - i can't verify how truthful it is).

Just get GPS Tag for your kid - on something that your kid would wear/have with them at all times. (Like classical spy craft -> shoes) | or just call police and tell them his phone number. They can triangulate it too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 72119

Wow ok I'll be blunt too. **** yourself and this forum. There's way more to my "story". What exactly do I have to gain if I lied? I'm trying to protect my son, nothing more nothing less