Toshiba MG09 - how to upgrade the firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Hey everybody,

I have five Toshiba MG09, sourced through different vendors.
Three of them have firmware 4302, one 0104 and another one with version 4004.

Bash:
# smartctl -a /dev/da0|grep -E "Device Model|Firmware"
Device Model:     TOSHIBA MG09ACA18TE
Firmware Version: 4302
# smartctl -a /dev/da1|grep -E "Device Model|Firmware"
Firmware Version: 0104
# smartctl -a /dev/da2|grep -E "Device Model|Firmware"
# smartctl -a /dev/da3|grep -E "Device Model|Firmware"
# smartctl -a /dev/da5|grep -E "Device Model|Firmware"
Firmware Version: 4004
I'd like to have a common baseline. Would you happen know how to upgrade the firmwares?

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
On linux you should use sg_write_buffer. On FreeBSD camcontrol fwdownload does the job. Sometimes you'll get an error message with heart attack, but in the end it worked always for me. To be sure, I always replug the drive after the flashing.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/updating-the-hgst-hdd-ssd-firmware.22381/ explains it for HGST, but don't try blindy 1:1. Search around here or google it which mode (-m) Toshibas want. Another thing is finding the right firmware file. Mostly it's .bin, .lod or .fw
If you don't trust a 'third party source' (HDD Firmware Downloads. PC-3000 Support Downloads. Data recovery and HDD repair tools) or can't find anything, then there maybe exists a way to get firmware down from a drive, but use it as last option.
Another thing is branded/vendor-locked firmware, but that seems not the case for your models.

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
I extracted the firmware for MG09ACA18TE from Lenovo's archive here: Lenovo Storage Linux Firmware - Lenovo Support US

Per this thread mg08 联想东芝超简单升级固件(估计其他牌子其它型号也行) - 电脑讨论(新) - Chiphell - 分享与交流用户体验 the firmware on Toshiba hard drives can be flashed using openSeaChest:

The drive will reject incorrect firmware versions so just go ahead and try flashing it, if it fails you'd probably need something else.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Thank you both!

Lenovo source is quite reliable, so that's a plus. Happen to know if the firmware upgrade would also erase the data?

Also, any reason why Toshiba won't release official tools and firmware? Seems like the old 2010s BS lock-in story ...

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
Thank you both!

Lenovo source is quite reliable, so that's a plus. Happen to know if the firmware upgrade would also erase the data?

Also, any reason why Toshiba won't release official tools and firmware? Seems like the old 2010s BS lock-in story ...
HDD firmware updates typically will not erase the data. All my WD and Seagate firmware updates went fine with no hiccups. However, it's always a good idea to keep backups handy.

WD also doesn't release firmware for their hard drives, and you'd need to ask them to provide the firmware for you via support. Maybe the same applies to Seagate.

ocfguy

Oct 25, 2022
Also I think the drive will probably reject the Lenovo firmware as they were running the retail firmware.

Reactions: m4r1k

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
HDD firmware updates typically will not erase the data. All my WD and Seagate firmware updates went fine with no hiccups. However, it's always a good idea to keep backups handy.

WD also doesn't release firmware for their hard drives, and you'd need to ask them to provide the firmware for you via support. Maybe the same applies to Seagate.
I'll open a support ticket with Toshiba then, just to be on the safe side. About backups, I know that what I'm about to say is not good, I don't have a backup. I have about 50TB used, thus a bit out of my reach ....

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Happen to know if the firmware upgrade would also erase the data?
It should not happen, it never happened for me, but always expect fubar with such operations and be prepared for exact that scenario. If the upgrade fails, any error or powerloss is possible, it maybe doesn't delete your data, but you also can't access it. So, two backups are better than one. ;)

I tried also a search for this firmware, haven't found anything. If they send you a firmware, then maybe share it with the hddguru-folks and/or here.

Edit: and pleasepleaseplease do this only with backup, don't go full risk. You don't want that bad feeling of lost data, realizing it happened without real need just because of some firmware numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: numanumani

angelus

Jun 1, 2023
ok then one extra reason to try with a support case
Hi there,
any progress on that?

I'm finding myself in the exact same situation. I accumulated 3 different firmware versions for 5 drives from different vendors. I'd like to start with a common base, but at least my drives are new and empty ;)

cheers

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
None. I wrote to Toshiba, they forwarded my ticket, asked for the SN and there has been no reply in a week. I guess, let's wait

angelus

Jun 1, 2023
Sounds good. I'll do a lengthy burn-in/badblocks test anyway which will probably take a week+ :D

Please let us know once you heard something.
Cheers

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Today Toshiba came back with kinda of a shocking answer

IMG_8755.jpeg

I didn’t answer yet. So regarding their first point, all drives but 4004 come from the official Toshiba store on Amazon. The 4004 was bought from eBay.

Any idea for a cleaver answer? I was thinking something like how their reputation could be affected if a bad firmware corrupts data or how they can directly sell the drives without proving support. Probably neither will change their corporate policy though.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
"We are unable to send FW out to an individual."
Then put it on your webserver! ASAP! Btw. you are not unable, you are ignorant and want to avoid unnecessary support tickets. :p

I was thinking something like how their reputation could be affected if a bad firmware corrupts data or how they can directly sell the drives without proving support.
That's good. You should demand the replacement of all non-civilian drives to the generic ones then. But then the problem...where to store your data temporary?
Also I don't know the internal microcode revisions...it's possible that 4004 is the same patchlevel as 4302, only compiled a week later and for generic line of MG09.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Then put it on your webserver! ASAP! Btw. you are not unable, you are ignorant and want to avoid unnecessary support tickets. :p
well there are other reasons, the consume tier is the N300, while the MGxx are DC/enterprise devices. In a world where enterprise support cost almost as much as the thing you’re paying for, it makes sense
I’m still a bit disappointed but that’s my own problem.

That's good. You should demand the replacement of all non-civilian drives to the generic ones then. But then the problem...where to store your data temporary?
Also I don't know the internal microcode revisions...it's possible that 4004 is the same patchlevel as 4302, only compiled a week later and for generic line of MG09.
that’s out of discussion, I now have 8 of them, I would need also another NAS. I’ll try to talk some sense but it seems a lost cause

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Yeah, the MG08 and MG09 are/should be the better ones. Another tier at all.
I’m still a bit disappointed but that’s my own problem.
But selling the 'wrong' drives with firmware intended for branding via amazon to normal customers is their problem.