Toshiba 5TB external drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
Here's my post from back in 2012 on the 3tb drives... if you wanna open them without damaging them.
Toshiba announces 12 new 3.5"desktop drives
I kept all the boxes and everything incase i needed to return one for warranty...

But i did the same thing cuz they were quite a bit cheaper!

I've been messing with iPods lately... for some cheap tools to open these things and wanna keep all the tabs.. i've found Guitar Picks to be cheap and excellent tool!

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Rain

May 13, 2013
Let's put it this way, I know one of the major manufacturers does NOT do this. NDA wise I cannot really go into details but I am not sure where the concept of them being binned is coming from.
I won't name any names either (to avoid any association whatsoever with your NDA), but there was a manufacturer a while ago (years ago, things could have (and likely have) changed) that was sticking multiple different internal drive models inside the same model of external enclosure. I, along with many others, began to assume that these drives were determined to be of lesser quality for some reason or another (vibration?), and thus stuck in externals with a lesser warranty. This was back when 1TB drives were still considered big and 1.5TB/2TB drives were just starting to come to market, so definitely some time ago.

I saw this first hand, but I can't speak for how long the practice was done, if it was simply a mistake in a few batches, or if the drives were actually binned at all or not. Judging by some quick Googling, I can't really recover any information about the drives I'm referring to, so I can't really reference anything. That's probably a good thing though, because it likely means this didn't happen for long; otherwise common search terms would dig it up quickly. (Edit2: I did uncover an interesting patent though, search around)

Binning based on something like vibration would be easy as it gets checked before drives are packaged as they come off the line, I'd assume. (Edit: or, binning platters prior to putting them in the drives, even). That, and the only guarantee you get about the drive inside the external is only how large the drive will be, nothing more (other than the warranty).

Thanks for the heads up, though! Hopefully I'm wrong and the other manufactures currently don't do this either. That said, warranty-years definitely still have value whether externals are binned or not -- the spare drive argument does too -- just depends on how you look at it.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I won't name any names either (to avoid any association whatsoever with your NDA), but there was a manufacturer a while ago (years ago, things could have (and likely have) changed) that was sticking multiple different internal drive models inside the same model of external enclosure. I, along with many others, began to assume that these drives were determined to be of lesser quality for some reason or another (vibration?), and thus stuck in externals with a lesser warranty.
I wouldn't expect any specific model of drive to be inside an external drive. I don't think this is because of any unscrupulous motive by the manufacturer, just "the way things are". Internal drives are sold as a specific model and some customers have expectations* that that is what they will get (while others won't care). External drives are sold as a given capacity / feature set and as long as that is met, the drive is suitable for its intended purpose. [I think we can all agree that people who shuck drives are using the drives for a purpose the manufacturer didn't intend.]

Using a variety of drive models, all of which meet the specs for the external drive product, is a useful way for a manufacturer to deal with a situation where production planning and reality don't align - for example, if a drive manufacturer is making a production run of drives for an OEM and that OEM goes out of business, the drive manufacturer has a load of drives that may or may not match any existing retail model. Putting them in external enclosures is a good way to sell them.

That may be where the idea about "binned" or lower-quality drives comes from - if an OEM drive (which normally has a less-than-retail warranty) gets put in an external enclosure by the manufacturer, then there would be a difference in the warranty. But the manufacturer provides a consistent warranty for the external drive, so there isn't really a difference (again, for the external drive's intended use).

Manufacturers then started making some drives specifically for external enclosures - there were some drives where the drive logic board had only a USB interface - no SATA, etc. Again, if the drive meets the specs for the external enclosure, the manufacturer has no obligation to provide a drive with a SATA interface.

There are many explanations for the price difference between internal and external retail drives. One manufacturer told me that their breakdown of sales (from smallest to largest) is:
  • Boxed retail internal drives
  • External drives
  • Branded internal drives (bulk, etc.)
  • OEM internal drives
Sometimes branded internal drives and external drives swap positions on that list. So the price difference may simply be due to volume.

* Model numbers can be a bit funny. One manufacturer divides the model number into 2 parts - one which shows the basic model of drive and a second which indicates the specific OEM the drive was made for, as well as variant options or running production changes. For example, the number of platters in a drive and the type of spindle bearing used would change, but the base model number would remain the same.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Using a variety of drive models, all of which meet the specs for the external drive product, is a useful way for a manufacturer to deal with a situation where production planning and reality don't align - for example, if a drive manufacturer is making a production run of drives for an OEM and that OEM goes out of business, the drive manufacturer has a load of drives that may or may not match any existing retail model. Putting them in external enclosures is a good way to sell them.
This definitely makes sense too.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Now you guys have me thinking about picking up four of these and setting up my first ZFS array. I guess I'll have to go do some research...dammit STH, I have enough things to do!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Now you guys have me thinking about picking up four of these and setting up my first ZFS array. I guess I'll have to go do some research...dammit STH, I have enough things to do!
I actually did this. 4x 5TB + 2x SATA SSD + 3x NVMe SSD. ZFS array for the 5TB drives.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
What SATA SSD's did you use? And which NVMe?

I'm also planning out my first try at VMware VSAN. I want to try both AFA and SSD/HDD. I've already got my 15k RPM HDD's to try it out, but I still need to get three 9211's and at least 6 SATA or SAS SSD's. I'm leaning towards the PM853T. But it isn't great for writes...so I'm not sure. Too many technologies to test out!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
S3610 and S3600's. I just had them sitting around which is how they got recruited for the build.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Hmm..since I've threadjacked anyway...would FreeNAS be a good place to start? Does it support all the cool stuff like SSD cache? I have needs for backup from Veeam, iSCSI would be nice, and general network shares for windows consumption. I'd like to compare this some day to VSAN. Hardware will be dual 2620V2's with 128GB of RAM. The other two boxes in the VSAN config are dual 2670 V1's and 128GB of RAM and 256GB of RAM.

Ok...maybe I should start my own thread!

Reactions: Patrick

Rain

May 13, 2013
Hmm..since I've threadjacked anyway...would FreeNAS be a good place to start? Does it support all the cool stuff like SSD cache? I have needs for backup from Veeam, iSCSI would be nice, and general network shares for windows consumption. I'd like to compare this some day to VSAN. Hardware will be dual 2620V2's with 128GB of RAM. The other two boxes in the VSAN config are dual 2670 V1's and 128GB of RAM and 256GB of RAM.

Ok...maybe I should start my own thread!
FreeNAS is great if you don't want to "get your hands dirty," so to speak, or at least minimize it. It does indeed support configuring L2ARC and ZIL ("SSD Caching"). Get your feet wet a bit first and make sure your hardware is compatible and plays nice with it (mainly your NICs) before you take the plunge; the current stable version of FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9.x and it doesn't play nice some things (Mellanox ConnectX cards, for example).

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I would run it as a guest on one of my ESXi hosts. Hardware wise I think I should be fine...famous last words. Here are my specs:

The Lab

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I surely do not! That is done for performance/budget reasons. I have 14 days of full backups of every VM on those arrays.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
My Amazon.com WD 8TB My Book came today. I opened the first one. Jan 2016 born on date different label WD80EZZX part number but the case looks like a HGST 8TB He8 drive.
Hmmm, according to these two links

WD80EZZX Image • /r/DataHoarder

New 8TB MyCloud - which HDD is inside (WD80EZZX)

Seems like it's a He8 running at 5400RPM. But it's not one of the HUH728080ALE601 drives that PC Perspective found in theirs. I haven't made it to Best Buy to pick mine up yet. I'm stuck at work waiting for a DHL delivery.