Toshia XG6 1TB nvme firmware update - Help extracting firmware from a Dell update file?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Could anyone help me figure out how to extract the firmware file from Toshiba Solid-state Drive Firmware Update for KXG60ZNV256G / KXG60ZNV512G / KXG60ZNV1T02 | Driver Details | Dell Canada for my Toshiba XG6 1tb nvme so I can try to update the firmware using nvme cli tools? I want to be able to update the firmware as Dell releases firmware updates, but of course I got this drive on the grey market and don't have a Dell. Anyone run across this before and know how to get the firmware files extracted? On older updates from Dell I could find it, but it seems they're obfuscating it better these days.

A few details:
  1. I have the KXG60ZNV1T02 with 1060.4105 firmware
  2. This is one of the few nvme drives officially supported by my Supermicro motherboard. I tried a different one and had problems, so went with this one from the list and it's been great so I hesitate to go a different route just for firmware updates
  3. I'm doing this because I'm curious and enjoy figuring things out, and of course more performance is always better so here I am...

Here's what I did so far:
  1. Download file
  2. Use 7zip to extract it since I don't have a compatible Dell computer to run it
  3. Initially tried running the EXE/DOS program that gets extracted from a bootable disk, but it failed
  4. Extract the EXE/DOS file from #3 with 7zip
  5. End up with a file called \Toshiba-Solid-state-Drive-Firmware-Update-for-KXG60ZNV256G_7RY97_WIN64_1060.4106_A00\XG6_nonSED_10604106_MUP\.rsrc\RCDATA\104
  6. Open that in HEX editor, and the header of it contains:
    1. "@TSBMUP@...10604106"
    2. This matches the firmware version and looks like it could be it, but there's a ton of padding at the end of the file so I'm worried that if I flash this it may not ONLY be the firmware but extra data that dell uses with their update utility

A few questions:
  1. Is that "104" file the full firmware?
  2. Is there a way to download my firmware file from my actual drive using nvme cli tools or something? I couldn't figure that out. If I could, I could compare the "104" file with the downloaded firmware from my actual drive!
  3. Am I missing anything major here?

Last edited:

frontwing

Aug 30, 2019
why are you considering nvmecli or something more complicated? you just never tried to run this Dell package directly?
Dell package won't check if you are using a Dell PC, it will just run the Toshiba updater and let it check if you are using a correct model.

If you really have problems running the package, use 7zip to extract XG6_nonSED_10604106_MUP.exe from it, then run the updater with admin privilege. I flashed a Dell-branded XG6 on my HP laptop without issue.

Last edited:

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
why are you considering nvmecli or something more complicated? you just never tried to run this Dell package directly?
Dell package won't check if you are using a Dell PC, it will just run the Toshiba updater and let it check if you are using a correct model.

If you really have problems running the package, use 7zip to extract XG6_nonSED_10604106_MUP.exe from it, then run the updater with admin privilege. I flashed a Dell-branded XG6 on my HP laptop without issue.
I did try it and said my system wasn't compatible. I'll try again with explicit admin privileges and report back. Thanks for the reply.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Well, it turns out this was a 32bit vs 64bit issue. The computer it was being run on (to my misunderstanding) was 32 bit and not 64 bit. I ended up doing a WinToUSB Windows 10 x64 live usb key, booted it up and was able to use the extracted XG6_nonSED_10604106_MUP.exe to update the drive!