Torque Screwdriver recommendations?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Reading through the supermicro 3647 heatsink install, they specify a specific torque amount to use when installing. Does anyone have any recommendations on an affordable Screwdriver which you can see the max torque? Thanks!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
A waste of time and money to be honest. Finger tight plus a nip is all you'll need, any more than that and you'll likely strip threads. Oh and torque drivers are just as good at stripping threads as standard ones :)

Reactions: vl1969

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
A waste of time and money to be honest. Finger tight plus a nip is all you'll need, any more than that and you'll likely strip threads. Oh and torque drivers are just as good at stripping threads as standard ones :)
exactly,
I have been building my own PCs for the last 20+ years, never had an issue with stripping the thread, unless it was already stripped in an old chassis.
did break MB once by pressing too hard, but it was an old MB and torque-controlled driver would not help as I was unscrewing the damn thing. :)

William

May 7, 2015
I just use a flat head screw driver :)
Just don't over tighten the screws.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Use a Torx bit. The key is making sure you tighten 3 and 4 enough to seat the CPU properly. Many people stop tightening early and that causes CPUs not to seat properly.

It is surprising how much I like using the LGA3647 socket now. Very well designed.

The AMD EPYC/ Threadripper socket is significantly more prone to over tightening.