Topton n6005, 4 ports, i-226V – overheating issues, or how do I start the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM fan?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

New_user76

Nov 25, 2023
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum :) Sorry if it is too long..

I have read many of the discussions on the forum about the Topton n6005/n5105, but it seems that I’m doing something wrong.

My device is : Topton n6005, 4 ports, i-226V, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD.

BIOS version: JK4LV104, 08/09/2022. In the bottom of the screen the version is: 2.22.1282.

On the board (under ram stick), the label says: CW-6005-4L V4.
On the back of the board, the label says: FMI07A N6005 JK 4L-VO1 CBOX

* I checked with google translator on Changwang’s site, and it seems that this is the newest version available for my board (although you never can be sure).

The problem: overheating issues - the device reaches very high temperatures and crushes.

Idle temperature is (was) around 65-70C. Under light load it exceeded 85C in minutes (there is no need to run a stress test to make it crush).

I took the following steps:

1. I changed the following settings in BIOS (according a recommendation I found on this forum):

## Bios/Uefi settings ##
– Advanced
– CPU – Power Management Control
– View/Configure Turbo Options
– Power Limit 2 Override [Enabled]
– Power Limit 2 20000
– CPU VR Settings
– PSYS PMax Power 176
– Acoustic Noise Settings
– Acoustic Noise Mitigation [Enable]
– Slow Slew Rate for Vccln Domain [Fast/16]
– C states [Enabled]

I can’t tell if helped.. Actually the temperature got a bit higher in idle mode, so I didn't bother to monitor it under load.

2. Improving the contact between the cpu and the copper plug.

I couldn't notice if there was any gap between the cpu and the copper plug, but before putting the Grizzly thermal paste, I cleaned the area and tried putting one 0.5mm thermal pad (OwlTree) between the cpu and the copper plug – to no avail.

Afterwards, I removed the thermal pad and put Grizzly thermal paste between the cpu and the copper plug and between the copper plug and the case. (a side note - I should have purchased more than 1 gram of thermal paste :))

This is the first step that showed some improvement – the idle temperature decreased to around 60C :)

3. Using an external 120mm fan

The only thing that made a significant difference, was putting a 120mm usb fan on top of the box. It decreased the cpu idle temperature from around 60C to around 46-49C (depends on the speed of the fan).

My questions are:

1. How to make the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM fan start working?

Due to the severe overheating issues, I also purchased the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM fan (to use it inside the box). But it just doesn't work :-/ Is there any special setting in BIOS or OPNsense I need to change?

I checked with a multi-meter, and the 4pin connector on the board provides 12V (as well as the adapter I’m using to connect the fan to the board). I already changed the only setting I found relevant in BIOS to “always on” or something similar. I'm starting to suspect that the fan I received is faulty..

2. What else would you recommend me to do?

Given the minor improvement I was able to achieve (before adding the 120mm fan) in comparison with other people who have reported their results on the forum, what else should I do in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

New_user76

Nov 25, 2023
Another try :)

Has anyone succeeded in using the Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM fan with Topton n6005?

I just can not start it.. Is there any special command or software package I need to use?

Otherwise, I will try to return the fan to amazon...

Thank you.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Sorry, can't help. Just my experience with this fan and Topton model:

Had the V2 of the ChangWang N6005. The base could only take a 40mm fan, I got the Noctua you mentioned.
What should I say... With my v2 every PWM setting I tried in the BIOS did not work. The fan was always on full speed. Besides a lot of noise it did not help much (2-3°). Sold my v2 and got a N5105 V4 direct from CWWK with the new base (holes for a 80x80x11mm fan). Much better, the FAN is spinning slow (intake) and it helps a lot (more for the NVMe than CPU).
Your temps are too high, check if PL1 and 2 are set in BIOS. Maybe consider a cooper shim between CPU and cooper block (or between case and cooper block). Might be better than the pad.

New_user76

Nov 25, 2023
@Mike9474593, thanks for your response!

Now (with a 120mm fan on the top of the case) in BIOS the CPU temperature is around 38-40C, while in OPNsense the CPU temperature is around 51-55C (but sometimes it jumps to around 63-67C for a second or two without any reason..).

Did you mean that I need to enable Platform PL1 and Platform PL2 ? If so, what values should I use in the following fields (in red)?

Platform PL1 Power 0
Platform PL1 Time Windows [0]

Platform PL2 Power 0

By the way, just out of curiosity, if the case gets very hot, and cooling it with an external fan reduces the CPU temperature, doesn't it mean that the heat from the CPU is transferred properly to the case? I understand that I can achieve better results here, but just trying to tackle the biggest problem first :)

Thank you!

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I'm at 38° in OPNsense with my Celeron N5105 and a 80mm fan on the base lid
I disabled turbo mode in BIOS and enabled C states in OPNsense tunables.

PL1 is set to 10000 (= 10 W) (that's default for the CPU)
PL1 Time I left at 0 (don't know what a "good" value is for this, so I just left it)
PL2 is set to 12000, I just experimented and left it there. Default for CPU is afaik 20000 or 25000 (20 or 25W, not sure)

Some newer BIOS versions are not power restricted (chang wang calls this "chicken blood" version), that's why I set these values manually.
I also enabled C States in BIOS, these were disabled by default.

I had a Qotom J4125 Unit running a bit hot. The case was quite hot too. Took appart the unit and noticed is a small gap between CPU and aluminium block (they did not even took a copper one on this). Polished everything and added a copper shim of 0.5mm between CPU and block, repasted and assembled everything. Temperatures went 10-15° down in idle, case was also a lot cooler. And these Jasper Lake units often have a gap, that's why I would check your unit.

Reactions: New_user76

New_user76

Nov 25, 2023
@Mike9474593, many thanks for your response! and I'm sorry for not replying sooner, I've been struggling with bigger problems with my network..

After applying your settings, the temperature in OPNsense decreased to 38°-39° (with a 120mm fan on top of the box) :)

Now I need to keep experimenting with the various parameters to find the sweet spot (over heating\performance) that will work for me.

Thank you again for your help!!

Reactions: Mike9474593