To Scrap or Not to Scrap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Neutron

Nov 26, 2016
Kearneysville, West Virginia
As the title mentions, I'm new and don't have a clue. A few years back, I was just ripping servers apart for the insides to scrap. Made ok money doing it too but what a waste of perfectly good servers. Here's one set I payed a little over $600 for and ripped them apart and scrapped the entire setup.

Shame that these were scrapped. Ah well....live and learn.

So today, I picked up two IBM x3650 M3's, an x3250 M2, and one IBM Total Storage type 7031-024. None of them have HDD's. I can't get the lid off of the x3250. One of the buttons is jammed. I'll have to play with that one. Took the lids off both x3650's. One has a single processor with 8GB's of heat sinked Hynix (2x4GB) 2Rx4 10600R, the other has 2 CPU's with 4GB of non-heat sinked Samsung (2x2GB) 2Rx8 10600R. Both have dual PCIe 2x8 Neyra Riser Cards, the single CPU server also has another card coming out of the side of one of the risers. I didn't want to dig too deep and start ripping things apart because, knowing me, the parts would end up in the sorted scrap bins out in the garage if I don't remember how to put everything back together.The only numbers I see on the chassis are 7945 AC1 which is generic and can't find the SEO numbers on these things. My question is, can I fire these units up with no HDD's to see what kind of CPU's are in them? TIA.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
you can, the x3650 will boot happily into BIOS mode and you can get most of info out.
not sure if you can get much info about CPU in the bios. have 2 of this machine in my good but not useful pile at work. the machines are in perfect working order except that I have 2 HDD failed in both of them.
getting a replacement HDD is simply not worth it as there is not much I can use this servers for.
they do not support Hyper-V and we do not use Linux here. you can build a pretty descent Linux server on them though.