TinyPilot Voyager Review Using Raspberry Pi to Disrupt the Establishment

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I somewhat forgot this was the title :)

Video if you want to see what the HTML5 iKVM looks like:

maes

Nov 11, 2018
That's a really neat project! I wonder how much trouble it would be to add a PoE hat in there as an alternative to the USB power supply.

Out of curiosity, does it have any way to power-on/power-off a remote server? You didn't really cover that in the review.
It might need to emulate another USB endpoint to do it (HID System Control device).

sns

Apr 22, 2021
Thanks for review.

There's actually a second pi kvm project, called Pi-KVM, that i had thought was the more advanced of the two, based on the author of tinypilots comment, 9 months ago, here:

"mdevaev 9 months ago [–]
Pi-KVM can do all the same, and it also supports IPMI, VNC, and Mass Storage Device emulation. The only difficulty is that for the USB dongle to work, you need to add a couple of options to the config, because it's not yet supported out of the box. Everything else will work on its own."
"Thanks for reading!

I'd say, in short, Pi-KVM is more feature rich, while TinyPilot is simpler and more approachable with less functionality.

Pi-KVM has several nice features that TinyPilot doesn't yet have, including power management, mouse support, authentication, TLS, and USB storage mounting.

TinyPilot has a quicker install. Pi-KVM requires you to compile the OS locally, which takes about an hour. If you've got a Raspberry Pi OS system (aka Raspbian) already, you can configure it for TinyPilot with two commands, and the install takes 5-10 minutes.

One of my goals with TinyPilot was to avoid a requirement for soldering/jumper cables, but if you don't mind soldering, that might not matter much to you. Pi-KVM works without soldering as well, but the documentation assumes soldering/breadboards.

I hope that there's space for both projects, and Max and I have talked about ways to potentially collaborate."

from

i guess he caught up.

You mentioned in your video that he recently added mass storage.

Curious if you have any experience with the other one as well? They say it costs between $30-$100 to build yourself.