TinyMiniMicro DC input from battery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

slomobile

Oct 4, 2023
I'd like to use TinyMiniMicro terminals, battery powered in my van 10-15v(12v AGM), power wheelchair 22-30v(24v gel), and mobile robots 34-54v(48v LTO) instead of the slow Raspberry Pis there now. DC-DC power supplies are easy to get and should replace the OEM AC-DC power bricks.

Which of the common TinyMiniMicro terminals will operate normally in this configuration without OEM brick?

Is there any universal SMbus solution to make TinyMiniMicros work with generic DC-DC supplies?

Maybe something that can splice into the stripped OEM cable, sniff the SMBus communications between OEM brick and computer, then configure itself to recreate the appropriate OEM brick responses when the OEM brick is replaced by a generic DC-DC?

// rant follows
In the past I've had monitors, laptops, wireless AP, and medical equipment fail to operate correctly using clean and correct voltage DC-DC supplies because the missing OEM power supplies employed SMBus communication which was now missing. Usually they power up and display a warning that a a non OEM power supply was detected. The crisp, flicker free, frustrating warning proves the power supplied would be sufficient to operate the device, it just wont. Plugging a Dell power brick into an HP laptop with the exact same connector and voltage results in the warning, and bootable OS, but refuses to charge the onboard battery. This is not among the touted benefits of SMBus, but I would bet it is a primary reason OEMs chose to use mutually incompatible messages. Ensuring loyalty to OEM replacement parts when generic could suffice.

I've had success using pico psu, industrial motherboards with a DC input range, and got lucky connecting 12v rated access points to 13.8v(12v nominal) batteries. I've also destroyed access points by connecting them to batteries. DC input voltage should be stated as an acceptable range and printed on the device that uses the power, not only the brick that gets lost.

I destroyed my minutes old Kickstarter Up Board Realsense robotics development kit because the mainboard and the nvme board used identical barrel jacks but different voltages. Wait months patiently, open box, tiny puff of smoke, done. Yes, it was my fault. But was it really?

This is not a problem we should still be having. There should be ubiquitous modular DC input. Not a universal voltage, but clear expectations for what will make a device operate. USB-C connector is not right for every device. But PD-PPS is the right direction.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
To work around the Dell, HP , Lenovo PS brick issue, I took a detour.

Shuttle XPC have a line of 1L mini machines with dual Ethernet ports. It is same size as Dell, HP
Shuttle XPC slso support s65w Intel CPU
It uses generic 19v Power brick. no hack necessary.

Google Shuttle DH470 ( I5-10xxx model ) , or Shuttle XPC

slomobile

Oct 4, 2023
This site can’t provide a secure connection
us.shuttle.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
NUCs run on 12V to 19V, and I've had various models running through a $10 AliExpress 12V DC UPS for many years now.

Newer HP Minis have a usb-c flex io option which will let you use a DC to USB-C PD adapter.

I ran an old Dell optiplex micro off a $5 boost converter. It detected a non-approved power adapter and throttled to I think 900MHz. But Throttle Stop had an option to ignore prochot which got it running at full speed again. I'm guessing there's a Linux equivalent if you don't run windows.

And I recently ran a Lenovo Tiny off a usb-c to Lenovo power adapter off eBay, so they don't seem fussy on power.

slomobile

Oct 4, 2023
Good to hear about success!
Was the adapter like this USB Type C Charger Adapter Female USB C 5-20V PD Detection to Lenovo Power Adapt 313115265210 | eBay
or this USB Type C⇌Laptop Power Charger Adapter Charging Cable for Thinkpad Lenovo HP | eBay
I didn't know that was an option till you pointed it out. It seems ideal with something like this USB C Car Charger Dual 55W PD3.0 Aluminum USB Voltmeter for 12V/24V Car Boat RV | eBay but preferably a 65w or 100w version. Gotta love how small and powerful they can make those GaN chargers.

The Dell running on the boost converter was the situation I had visualized, with the throttling probably a result of the boost converter not talking SMBus.

I guess I'll try Lenovo first.
Avoiding HP due to concerns about HP not playing well with Linux. Maybe that is well in their past, but it was a problem with every HP I've owned. Haven't had or recommended one since 2013.

Edit: settled on a Lenovo SE30 with IOBOX ThinkEdge SE30 IO Box
9-36v input, serial, POE, DIO, Thunderbolt 4 video, x86_64

Last edited: