Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
@mobilenvidia sorry to hear about your place, stuff can be replaced, people cant, so glad you and family are safe.
Yes she was a close call there looking back now

Bummer, sorry to hear that.
Beautiful spot for house, somewhere in rural Oregon?
Oregon and California fires a little larger than our one
But Lake Ohau on South Island of NZ
I think we now have the record for building gone up in a fire in NZ

Really sorry to hear about your home. Glad you're OK!
Looking at the resultant "puddle" that doesn't look like a standard house design. Have any photos of it pre-fire?
Beautiful view btw!
You asked, below pic best I can do at the moment from iPhone I took to show of my lawn which at the time was the greenest its ever been
But gives idea of house before
Also Rex is keeping an eye on me
IMG_0779.JPG
They're from New Zealand, so, home design is going to be a little different to what most are used to in the US.
Well spotted (or read) yes, an Architect friend drew this up for us with my Wife's specifications
Was a great house in a great spot and will be rebuild, although I doubt those 100yo bridge beams supporting the Eaves will be replaceable

On a more pleasant note and more STH like
I did manage to throw in my HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 server
Running this as an Expanology box
During Lockdown I Handbraked all my CD's, Blurays and DVD's to disk, was a heap of work as there were a heap of discs
Also runs Dropbox locally to save having it on laptops
Its not setup yet as in a temporary rental place

Back on subject I've ordered another EPROM Programmer, same as before as it worked great
Actually got my eye on a couple of M900's not 700's, hopefully not too much bidding on these on Sunday, and pick one up cheap
Kaby Lake CPU I'll keep an eye on, got the i5-7500T for a bargain not seen anything near it yet.

Reactions: dawsonkm and Marsh

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
You asked, below pic best I can do at the moment from iPhone I took to show of my lawn which at the time was the greenest its ever been
But gives idea of house before
Ahh, that explains all the corrugated metal in your other photo. 3 acres of roof :)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Ahh, that explains all the corrugated metal in your other photo. 3 acres of roof :)
Funny you should say that, because the next day I drive up road on opposite side of lake looking for that 3 acres of roof and its distinctive colour
But couldn't see it and then knew our fate
Did soften the blow, as others in the village its self had to wait till the bus trip that took them round to know theirs

Lost a heap of computer stuff, built up a collection of parts, cables and all sorts of other bits
Lost my Dell SC8000 (R720) I used as a work horse for projects, but as it didn't store data on it, I left it behind
And possibly my biggest sacrifice was my 30 year old turntable and associated audio gear, I love good music heard over good gear
Had I grabbed more stuff I would probably not be alive writing about missing it now

Anywho, enough doom and gloom time to move on.
Hopefully a M900 on Sunday, got the EPROM programmer coming, all my BIOS files are on my laptop I did manage to grab but can't remember doing so

alkalinelito

Oct 6, 2020
Great list,

As a suggestion, you could add some goldmont/Goldmont plus (Gemini/Apollo Lake) mini pc's or thin clients.

Like the dell wyse 5070 thin client, its j5005 based and makes a great low power tiny server.

Thanks!

Last edited:

paf

Sep 21, 2020
Portugal
And possibly my biggest sacrifice was my 30 year old turntable and associated audio gear, I love good music heard over good gear
Had I grabbed more stuff I would probably not be alive writing about missing it now
First, many thanks (from the other side of the world, where I live) for all the info on small machine that you have provided for all of us. As can be seen from your message, things are not important, emotions are important. You like good music because of the emotions.

If you are ok, all your family (including Rex) is ok, and no people were harmed, everything is ok.

I live in Portugal, and one of the "traditional songs" is "Fado", usually associated with sadness, and love misfortune.

Many years ago a journalist asked a famous "Fado" singer (Amália Rodrigues):

-What is the advice that you give to someone with a love misfortune?
-Get another.
-Another love or another misfortune?
-Whatever.. It's the same thing.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
First, many thanks (from the other side of the world, where I live) for all the info on small machine that you have provided for all of us. As can be seen from your message, things are not important, emotions are important. You like good music because of the emotions.

If you are ok, all your family (including Rex) is ok, and no people were harmed, everything is ok.

I live in Portugal, and one of the "traditional songs" is "Fado", usually associated with sadness, and love misfortune.

Many years ago a journalist asked a famous "Fado" singer (Amália Rodrigues):

-What is the advice that you give to someone with a love misfortune?
-Get another.
-Another love or another misfortune?
-Whatever.. It's the same thing.
Very good advice given, either way the most important thing is to live, how you live shouldn't matter as long as you are happy

Update, the M900's on auction site went for too much I was prepared to pay.
I'll keep searching
Got a more permanent place to move into in about 10 days where I'll be able get back into this

I may venture into Thin Clients at some point in the future, but the 1lt desktops are where I'll concentrate on for now.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Alrighty here is the M700 once I found it below the TV, Ampilifer, and Satellite receiver and plaster board
IMG_2338_small.jpg
And trying to re-enact the picture above but taken today
IMG_2355_small.jpg

Got my eye on 2x more M900's and a M700 on auction here in NZ
Hopefully I can grab one of them for good price
The EPROM programmer should be well on its way

Reactions: itronin and Marsh

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I'm back in the saddle got a:
M900
i5-6500T
8GB
128GB SSD coming, paid too much but these are popular and I need something to do at nights
BUT also got a:
i3-9100T 4c/4t 3.1Ghz base, 3.7Ghz turbo boost coming from Ebay, I'll attempt to do the Coffee Lake BIOS mod
The Coffee Lake BIOS mod without working on the CPU socket means only 4core CPU's will work
So the i3-9300T would be fastest but only 100Mhz faster and almost twice the price not worth it
9th gen series i3's better value than 8th gen as support Turbo boost
But with Socket blanking and joining pins all CPUs (35w) can be used up 9900T (8/16)

Will be good to get my hands dirty again