Thunderbolt 4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards as HBA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Dec 3, 2020
Hi all,

I am wondering if TB4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards can be used as some kind of HBA-alternative for external drive enclosure.

TB4 and USB4 can transfer 32Gbps (4GB/s) payload (40G in total). Both can tunnel PCIe. This means, it could be possible to tunnel M.2 / U.2 / other PCIe drives in an external drive enclosure via an PCIe switch.

I think this could be a nice alternative for NAS systems and an alternative to traditional HBAs with external SAS connectors. I am thinking about extending my ZFS based storage system with it if its working.

As far as I know, there are not much TB4 controller chips available on the market. Most devices use Intel 8000 series TB4 controller chips. These chips are available for different kind of applications:

Intel Goshen Ridge (JHL8440) for docking stations
Intel Maple Ridge (JHL8540 and JHL8340) host controllers – for use in computers, tablets, and other client devices

There are few PCIe TB4 / USB4 expansion cards on the market. Here are two examples:

As far as I know, most of these cards have some kind of display connectors, because Intels TB4 controller have DisplayPort 1.4a inputs, so you can connect a video signal to these inputs and transfer it over the USBC connector to a monitor.

Because most of these cards list some requirements like: "Only support Intel 500/600/700 series motherboard with JTBT+JUSB header " (the MSI one). Of course you need a mainboard with such connectors to use the DP 1.4a input. Its a nice feature, but is it mandatory ?

Here you can find a block diagram of the Intel 8000 series and some more details: Intel's Maple Ridge (JHL8540) Thunderbolt 4 Controller Now Shipping

There are already external drive enclosures with TB3 or TB4 connectors available for different drive form factors like M.2, 2,5", 3,5" drives:

Does anyone already have experience with this topic?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I use the gigabyte one on an ASRock board because it offers higher USB pd output. Both the ASRock and gigabyte have the same cable requirements.
. MSI has been spamming news outlets for a couple of years for USB4 and finally just released it with their boards only.

IRL TB 4 can hit 3.2GB and USB4 apparently unlocks additional bandwidth since it's pcie 4 and hits 3.8GB/s. Then only enclosure though right now is the zikedrive that's made for USB4. On the TB side you would be looking for enclosures using the JHL8540 and there's a handful of ensures. there's a ton of JHL7540 options but those don't have USB fallback.

Reactions: CWin