This is a real stretch - but anyone still running a Supermicro X10SL7-F on Win Server 2022

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
I have had a pair of these boards rolling since 2016 as file servers and with no signs of any issues (or any immediate need to replace) I have been thinking about a general "refresh" of both boxes. One I am planning a CPU upgrade and the other needs a major drive reconfiguration.

They have both been running Windows Server 2019 for 4 years now and if I am going to dig deep into these - I was considering a fresh OS install to Server 2022 but it appears the drivers as supplied by Supermicro stop with Server 2019.

Now - I know these bad boys are discontinued but anyone out there still running them - using Server 2022?

If so - any info on how you set it up driver-wise would be appreciated.

Cheers

VP

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Install Linux and PCI passthrough the required hardware to WinOS VM?

Alternative would disable driver signing and install drivers for older OS
Do you actually need drivers? Im told newer windows dont need to install so many drivers as the older did this might cause problems with stability YMMV.
Or you can just sell them and get newer motherboards with support from GatesOS
X11 hardware is starting to pop out in my corner of world.

Last edited:

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
Do you actually need drivers? Im told newer windows dont need to install so many drivers as the older did this might cause problems with stability YMMV.
Well - this might actually be the case but I am certain that Win server will ask for some specific drivers to be available.

And yes - I could also change this big time into FreeNAS or a Linux build - but that would be totally new territory for me.

Staying with Win Server would be preferable.

VP

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Well - this might actually be the case but I am certain that Win server will ask for some specific drivers to be available.

And yes - I could also change this big time into FreeNAS or a Linux build - but that would be totally new territory for me.

Staying with Win Server would be preferable.

VP
Well if dont learn new OS you will have to jump through the MS hoops in future.

You decide time or money.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think you might need a tpm 2.0 module for server 2022 (unless you remove that requirement via rufus or other tools).
I have a x10srl with a tpm module for xeons cpus and server 2022 installed without warnings (no removed requirements or mods used)

Server 2019 and 2022 share the same driver format/model, you should be able to use the drivers for 2019.
The only problem you might encouter are installers that run a check for the used server version. In that case you might if the installer supports paramters in the cli to bybass the check or extract the files in a given directory.
You decide time or money.
I'm "testing" the different versions since 2008 r2:
1687546905834.png
So far I have paid 0€ :p
(I actually consider buying server licenses for my homeservers because for me it's the money worth. But unlike windows 10/11 pro for workstations you can't buy it directly in the microsoft store :D)

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
I think you might need a tpm 2.0 module for server 2022 (unless you remove that requirement via rufus or other tools). Server 2019 and 2022 share the same driver format/model, you should be able to use the drivers for 2019.
As I suspected. Have seen many cases where drivers are compatible. I will have to test this theory.

And I did some digging on TPM - it is not required for Server 2022.

Cheers

VP