This Guy Has the Fastest Home Internet in the United States

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm skeptical on his applications. For starters the advantage of 10gbps over 1gbps for gaming is likely insignificant.

I wasn't surprised to find out he's a radiologist though. I work in the medical imaging software industry and more and more radiologists want to work from home and often overestimate what's required to achieve that. His numbers for image size are pretty far off what I'm familiar with. 3D mammo (DBT) images are usually just shy of a gigabyte not the 10 he mentions. More importantly the rest of the infrastructure of the PACS system likely can't keep up with his home network, especially the client software as there isn't much demand/value in trying to optimize for that speed. Since this is patient data he's viewing over the internet, encryption is also required and I don't see it making financial sense to provide the sort of networking from the hospital/clinic side to serve a single user at these speeds.

All that said I'm still envious :)

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
I thought I read someone here has 10Gb too?
It could very well be the same person. Apparently takeup of residential 10g service has been pretty much non-existent. It is quite expensive at $300 per month plus a minimum investment in equipment over $1k.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
I'm skeptical on his applications. For starters the advantage of 10gbps over 1gbps for gaming is likely insignificant.

I wasn't surprised to find out he's a radiologist though. I work in the medical imaging software industry and more and more radiologists want to work from home and often overestimate what's required to achieve that. His numbers for image size are pretty far off what I'm familiar with. 3D mammo (DBT) images are usually just shy of a gigabyte not the 10 he mentions. More importantly the rest of the infrastructure of the PACS system likely can't keep up with his home network, especially the client software as there isn't much demand/value in trying to optimize for that speed. Since this is patient data he's viewing over the internet, encryption is also required and I don't see it making financial sense to provide the sort of networking from the hospital/clinic side to serve a single user at these speeds.

All that said I'm still envious :)
Consider that he's one of the principles are a reasonably sizable Radiology group that does consulting and image management and archive (and he's also in charge of their informatics). I'm sure he has the pull to put in a decent VPN server (a VPN server of a couple gig of AES isn't that expensive)..

Now he probably doesn't NEED 10g, but I could see him being constrained on a 1g non-dedicated connection. Since it appears all his main duties fall inside of the EPB footprint, it is like they are also providing service to all of his clinics and clients as well. So he may only be using 1gb for medical stuff, but the 10g connection provides lots of room for everything else at his house.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It's still a stretch. Especially with the bursty nature of PACS traffic it would be cheaper and likely a lot easier to get multiple 1gig lines and not worry about QoS. I think it's pretty clear he's just a guy that would fit in here and wanted 10gig because it was cool and accessible where he lives. I'd certainly pay the $300 a month if that was an option.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I mean... a connection like that isn't even possible in Australia with current tech/adoption. Melbourne has only just started rolling out some 1Gb internet and the NBN has been completely gimped. I'd happily pay $300 for 1 gig let alone 10.

Reactions: psylenced

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
I mean... a connection like that isn't even possible in Australia with current tech/adoption. Melbourne has only just started rolling out some 1Gb internet and the NBN has been completely gimped. I'd happily pay $300 for 1 gig let alone 10.
400/400 at work is massively better than the 18/1 I get at home.

Helps that work is in the cbd, so lots of pipe networks cable going around.

I'm in area that was slated for cable, although it looks like g.fast has since been downgraded back to vdsl in the future cable offerings too.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Surprised he's got that Mikrotik CCR as well as what appears to be a fairly beefy A-L router there.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Surprised he's got that Mikrotik CCR as well as what appears to be a fairly beefy A-L router there.
The A-L box is the GPON for the wan connection and besides the SFP+ link appears to only have 1 gbe connections. He probably had the Mikrotik CCR before he got the Netgear XS708E. The XS708E looks like what is in actual use.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
400/400 at work is massively better than the 18/1 I get at home.
I was loving my 100/40 NBN when I had it. Now I'm living out in Narre Warren with a 5/1 Optus 4G module and 80Gb/month for more than I was paying for the NBN. There is wired connection available but it's dialup only.

Needless to say, with the rollout of residential 10Gb in S.Korea gaining speed (and adoption rates currently climbing too), I'm tossing up learning the language and moving north!

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I thought I read someone here has 10Gb too?
I have 10GbE over dark fiber to an offsite location a few blocks away, on leased phone pole space, but that doesn't connect to the rest of the Internet - it is exclusively for backups.

On the business side, I have multiple interstate dark fiber runs, where we run 40-channel DWDM links. I'll put a picture at the bottom of this post of one of those runs in test here (with 20dB attenuators simulating distance).

My house isn't on any dark fiber routes that would be economical (pricing depends a LOT on what carrier you're talking to), so I have a Verizon 500/500 point-to-point link back to the business network and the rest of the Internet. For various reasons known only to Verizon, you can't actually get the full GigE on this type of service. They do offer it on a service with a different tariff, but it would be several times as expensive. I do have both a Comcast node and a Verizon FiOS distribution box (the 2' x 3.5' one, not the much smaller zone box) on the pole in front of my house. Which is getting pretty crowded, as I have both my own fiber (8 strands) and Verizon fiber (72 strands, not all terminated) coming from the pole into my house.

Being faster than large portions of the rest of the net (both commercial and residential) does show some limitations - downloading is often not as fast as you'd think, due to either the far end simply being slower than my end, or due to things like far-end load balancers restricting the bandwidth for a single session. Some of that makes sense (does it really matter if my DirecTV box downloads a 2-hour HD movie in 5 minutes or an hour, given that I'm watching it in real-time), but sometimes it is unreasonable (downloading the 11GB Dell Server Update Utility image still takes > 12 hours). This was even true in the mid-90's, when I had a T3 at the house.

And, as the linked article points out, various things like speed test sites either get very confused at high speeds or give inaccurate readings. Not to mention some client devices (like my Dell notebook) simply can't keep up with the network, even at 500/500. At work, I do host an instance of a popular speed test server but it will give inaccurate results at multiple-Gigabit speeds. This isn't the fault of the hardware or the software that is running on it, but the way the speed test network chooses servers - since the server has connections to multiple 10GbE Internet backbones, it is often picked as the preferred server when a user visits the main speed test site. With 50 or so simultaneous tests going on, it ends up being limited by its single 10GbE link to my infrastructure.

Top-to-bottom:
2 x 40-channel low-loss DWDM muxes w/ monitoring (jumpers on right side and on top provide the link between them w/ loss inserted to simulate distance)
2 x Cisco 4500X 16-port SFP+ switches, with 3 active links (30Gbit/sec LACP) via the 2 DWDM muxes (37 channels still available)
Unrelated Dell R710

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
We have fiber rolling out across parts of Minneapolis. I know for sure they offer 1GB and I think 2.5, 5, and 10GB. We are waiting for our install of 1GB.

There wasn't much reason to go higher than that at this point. Equipment gets too expensive and storage becomes the limiting factor.