Thermaltake x9 core based dual 2670 build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
this case is massive. It's also a blast to build with. And it's on sale: Amazon.com: Thermaltake Core X9 Black E-ATX Stackable Tt LCS Certified Cube Chassis CA-1D8-00F1WN-00: Computers & Accessories

Removable motherboard tray is a cool feature. Mounts for two 480mm radiators is just ridiculous. Also room for two power supplies is novel. The front is foam padded to keep dust out. It's sturdy. It's wicked big too. Best of all it fit my SSI-EEB Intel board and dual 12cm noctua heat sinks.

I'm reserving this thread for my build log but had to say how awesome the case was. Bought it flat at Frys and I'm glad I did.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Hah thanks. I really really like this case. I'd like it even more if I were into diy water cooling. It's got so many options and space for 6 or more hard drives. The front five and a half inch bays can be removed and a 180mm fan added for two of them up front. How crazy is that

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have one in a box under my desk waiting to be picked up. It's too small for the x9drg-qf. If I had picked up a z9pe-d8 ws it would have been a sweet little system but I got greedy. The room for water cooling is insane but they should have made it 6" wider so that I could play too. It could use a few more slots ;)

I was stunned how big it was when it came off the truck. I was going to put 2-480 rads on the top. If you take out the grill for the rads on the top you can almost climb into the case to work on it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sweeet build!!

I got one of those cases a couple months ago and was AMAZED how big it was, but also amazed how poorly the space was utilized... def a case made for tons of radiators and water cooling, and not much 'workstation' oooomph in my opinion. Now I need to figure out what to do with it, or just list it for sale/trade -- and hope someone LOCAL wants it, ha ha!!

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
So the nocuta coolers worked for you...nice...
yeah they did!

And you shipped them better than I have seen anything shipped. Retail boxes. Even the plastic bottoms for the coolers were on them. All original accessories. Big box with more than enough packing materials. Seriously awesome.

I'll look even closer at your next FS/FT threads because of that.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
@T_Minus @RobertFontaine yeah I too was impressed with how large the case was. I, too, noticed that I probably bought the case but am not a watercooler kind-a-guy apart from the AIO units so most of the case is overkill. For my usecase, the mobo, the coolers, the fans, and a single large-ish SSD it's more than plenty.

Glad to have another behemoth in my lab, now to make some use of it. I really like building them and then I have to find a reason to keep them, lol.

William

May 7, 2015
Yes those are nice cases, I haven been tempted to pick on of these up for a while. Now they have a new line coming out that I think I like better, the core w series.

Skip to about half way into this video where Shannon is going over the core w series cases.

Joseph Nunn

May 11, 2016
Irvine, CA
I like the Tt X9, I think its the best horizontal motherboard case ATM. If I was in the market for a case I would buy one and finally give watercooling a serious shot, it is ideal for that purpose. However I have a Lian Li V2110b that does fine for air cooling and is complete sex that I'm building out right now. My horizontal MB watercooling dreams yet lie in the future.

Joseph