The state of NVM (Optane): hype or not?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mbello

Nov 14, 2016
Today I read an interview at AnandTech where AMD's Forrest Norrod plays down the importance of NVM. He even goes as far as saying that the way Intel brought it to market was a big strategy mistake.

I always believed that NVM is not going to fly. The performance is just too far away from what one gets from DRAM, it will require a lot of software tweaks.

However, reading STH I got the idea that NVM's adoption was actually picking up. What is Patrick's view on that right now?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am not sure if I spoke to Forrest before or after PCWatch/ Ian did. We discussed Intel Optane DCPMM a bit that did not make it into our piece.

My take:
  • There is NVMe which is gaining share for the SSD market
  • Optane DCPMM is gaining share, but that is easy to do when you are at zero. AMD does not have DCPMM right now so you expect they will downplay it. At the same time, from an adoption perspective, we are still early days.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
My feeling is that it has a place where you want to be doing reloads of in memory DB’s and you need the fastest possible reload time.

It’s probably at least for a while going to remain a niche product, but never know when somebody will find a need to match the product :)