The Lexus rolled past 200K today

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There has never been a more reliable, long lasting car. 200K is not at all unusual but it's the first time I've ever held on to a car long enough to get to 200K. The reasons are simple, extreme reliability, ultra low maintenance, Super smooth ride, Put together like a Rolex. She still drives perfect and has the coldest A/C on the planet.

2005 Lexus ES330. Has every available option and they all function perfectly.

Pulled over for the money shot. :D

IMG_201sm.jpg

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
That is really impressive. Is that the original engine/ transmission as well?

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Not impressed.
Why? Because I own a 2006 VW Transporter with 1087 thousand kilometers on it, yes that's over 1 million kilometers. No original engine/transmission anymore, they were swapped at 900tkm.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Congrats! I never thought I'd ever put any 'real' miles on a vehicle until we moved rural and every drive became minimum 80 mile trip!

@s0lid now that's a lot of miles!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That is really impressive. Is that the original engine/ transmission as well?
Yep. No major problem. Just routine maintenance and a couple of sensor replacements. I also own a Toyota Sequoia with 140K miles and it's genetically related, No major problems with it either. Just had it in the shop to replace the passenger air bag inflator as per a recall. I ignored so many letters and cards from Toyota that they actually called me on the phone and did a conference call with me and the local dealer to get it done. I have a tendency to drive a vehicle as long as it's comfortable and reliable. I'll get rid of one at the first sign of A/C problems tho. Summers are brutal here and A/C is mandatory.

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
Nice job! Love the car, hate the logo...
The in-laws own 2 Lexus' and love them as well.

Got almost 300k on an old ford pickup. Nothing but simple maintenance and one timing chain. Sold it to a guy that put it to work on his farm.

Had 167k on a Ford Taurus. Got rid of it because I hate automatics. Otherwise the only issue I had was the brakes needed fixing after a panic stop (same issue 3 times).

Just over 130k on a 1975 Toyota FJ40 (not the original engine due to a run in with a drug dealer).

180k+ on a Subaru outback. Needed some engine work at that point so off to the Kidney Foundation it went.

~150k on a 1975 Rover 3500S. Rear axle locked up so it went bye bye.

My luck with other cars has not been so good.
2002 Mustang GT had only 35k before multiple rod bearings failed.
2013 Subaru Outback Sport was returned to the dealer after only 10k miles since it had multiple problems one of which was going through tires every 2000 miles (something terribly wrong with the underside of that car). Next to the Mustang, worst car I had ever owned.

Reactions: Fritz

Airbozo

Apr 13, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains
Have you seen the price of them lately?

Here is an example:
Toyota: Land Cruiser FJ40

Probably sold new for less than $10k! We paid $4500 for ours in 1993 and it is worth well over $20k. Plus it is THE most fun I have ever had in any vehicle.

Interest is so high on these vehicles that the original factory tooling fixtures were sold to a company in Texas that is now making original equipment tubs and body parts.

A good site: About Us

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Nice job! Love the car, hate the logo...
The in-laws own 2 Lexus' and love them as well.

Got almost 300k on an old ford pickup. Nothing but simple maintenance and one timing chain. Sold it to a guy that put it to work on his farm.

Had 167k on a Ford Taurus. Got rid of it because I hate automatics. Otherwise the only issue I had was the brakes needed fixing after a panic stop (same issue 3 times).

Just over 130k on a 1975 Toyota FJ40 (not the original engine due to a run in with a drug dealer).

180k+ on a Subaru outback. Needed some engine work at that point so off to the Kidney Foundation it went.

~150k on a 1975 Rover 3500S. Rear axle locked up so it went bye bye.

My luck with other cars has not been so good.
2002 Mustang GT had only 35k before multiple rod bearings failed.
2013 Subaru Outback Sport was returned to the dealer after only 10k miles since it had multiple problems one of which was going through tires every 2000 miles (something terribly wrong with the underside of that car). Next to the Mustang, worst car I had ever owned.
um yes all that is great and all but what about teh drug dealer, that sounds like an interesting post.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Good job you pulled over in time to get the shot - how gutted would you have been if it had ticked over to 200001?! I missed 123456 on the Skoda but I did get 80085 XD

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Mine is my daily driver.
I drove my 97' 540i 6sp daily and sold with 225k miles. Engine was OK and overall it was in a good shape.
I wouldn't say it took only couple sensors thought :D

Depending what BMW you got I'd say closer to 100K you should expect expenses.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
It's funny I used to know a lot about BMW s. Now I only know a lot about mine. I've replaced every bit of rubber, the suspension, hoses, cooling system. I stopped in the middle of replacing the steering rack for a higher ratio z3 rack and it has been gathering dust for a year. Really need to get back out there and complete. It wasn't meant to die in a garage.

Reactions: gigatexal

Diavuno

Nice!

I've been a fan of buying "broken" cars and fiixing them myself, often I'll but them with 50-75k and drive them until I want to upgrade....

I've had a few pickups break 250k, and a few cars.

The most reliable ones Ive had where dodge trucks all broke 250 and ran great, buit the interior fell apart on most, some needed constant rear end rebuilds.
I dont mess with economy cars or most euro cars, maintenance is too high.
the most reliable (with my low maintence standard) has been ford trucks and a few based on the ford panther platform (crown victoria, police interceptor, grand marquis, town car)
NONE of those cars needed anything before 250k. interior has been solid, overall great cars that will outlive a cockroach.
... UNTIL my mercury marauder, trans starting slipping at 151k... to be fair, I beat the snot out of it, and the previous owner didnt seem nice either.

As is common many people say these are not "nice" cars... remember that your car is a dressed up economy car 90% of the time.
The interior in my F150 will rival most luxury cars. Infact I wanted something new recently, went to the BMW dealer, not even the $150,000 7 series had the same features! (but did have a moonroof, something I did not order with my truck)