The Intel 730 SSD Discussion Thread 240GB/ 480GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Nadster

Nov 24, 2014
As noted by an earlier poster in this thread, Intel does not claim full power-loss protection as a feature for this drive in any of their marketing materials or support documents.

When I queried Intel on the matter, the reply I received stated, “As per our website, Power Loss Data Protection has not been implemented for this SSD family.”

I also asked why, if the feature was not present, Intel has not done anything to dissuade the widespread belief propagated by the online review community that it is. I mentioned that some reviewers even stated Intel represented this as a feature of the product family. The Tech Report, for example, unequivocally states: “According to Intel, the power-loss protection is identical to that of its datacenter drives.” Intel declined to answer this part of the question.

It is interesting to note that all of the review units appear to have been engineering samples, so I suppose it is possible Intel decided to cut this feature prior to going to production. Intel loves to segment their product offerings, and perhaps they were concerned this feature would cut into the more margin-rich DC S3500/S3700 product families.

Has anyone with a production 730 SSD actually looked at the PCB to see if the capacitors are still present like they were on the engineering review samples? I would pop mine open, but I am hesitant to unseal the drive and am now contemplating returning it. It was intended to be a massively over-provisioned ZIL on my ZFS file server, but now I am having second thoughts.

Reactions: Dk3

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
It is interesting to note that all of the review units appear to have been engineering samples, so I suppose it is possible Intel decided to cut this feature prior to going to production.
hmmm. Certainly Possible. All of the reviews state that the drives have no HW Encryption , yet the Intel site states "Hardware Encryption AES-256". Very odd.

cmetz

Nov 24, 2014
Has anyone with a production 730 SSD actually looked at the PCB to see if the capacitors are still present like they were on the engineering review samples?
Does anyone have a way to find this out? I just bought one of these on this deal, specifically for this feature. I'd rather have data integrity than speed, but if I'm not actually getting the data integrity, this one's going back and will be replaced by a faster drive.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
Does anyone have a way to find this out? I just bought one of these on this deal, specifically for this feature. I'd rather have data integrity than speed, but if I'm not actually getting the data integrity, this one's going back and will be replaced by a faster drive.
I totally agree integrity is more important, if power loss protection is not there, i will rather go for more expensive s3500.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yikes! Let me see what I can do. I am on the road for two weeks straight. I do have a 2 hour transfer between San Francisco and San Jose en route to a 4 city day tomorrow. If I do not hit much traffic and can do this I will take photos.

Reactions: pgh5278

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe we should swap to a dedicated Intel 730 SSD thread? I can move these questions.

Also, I did post Intel 730 480GB SSD quick benchmarks today. Very nice performance. Keep in mind this is with a retail drive and LSI controller not an engineering sample with an Intel controller like most benchmarks I saw out there.

Reactions: Dk3

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
Maybe we should swap to a dedicated Intel 730 SSD thread? I can move these questions.

Also, I did post Intel 730 480GB SSD quick benchmarks today. Very nice performance. Keep in mind this is with a retail drive and LSI controller not an engineering sample with an Intel controller like most benchmarks I saw out there.
Indeed a great idea, i believe since due to its great price now, everyone will be interested on its outcome and more discussion coming on.

Not forgeting to quote on Nadster's email to intel and their reply in your benchmarks. Letting others know how intel feedback their own "hidden" featured product.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Starting a thread to consolidate some of the discussion on these drives.

Here are the Intel 730 480GB SSD quick benchmarks on a LSI SAS controller

Key questions:
  • Are power loss protection capacitors included in the retail drives?
  • If present, would the capacitors provide enough power in the event of a power loss even given the higher clock rates?

zetlali

Jul 28, 2014
I ordered 6 of the 480GB drives and will be using them with an Areca 1883i. We'll see how they compare with my 840 pros. I'll post benchmarks when its up and running.

cmetz

Nov 24, 2014
Patrick, although it might be a good bit of work, it would really add a lot of unique value to the community if you could build some sort of power failure torture test setup like was done in this paper:

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/fast13/fast13-final80.pdf

Especially for enterprise use, what folks really want to know is whether and how badly the drive might corrupt data on power faults, where never corrupting data is the best answer. Presence of power buffering capacitors is certainly a good sign, but not a guarantee that the drive as a whole will behave properly. If memory serves, folks on the Internet deduced that all the drives that didn't fail were Intel, and that one of the drives in those papers that did fail was the M500 which has power loss caps.

This situation with the Intel 730 is a great example of where an actual test in your reviews would add unique value. Several reviewers who were given engineering samples from Intel showed pictures of capacitors and were told by their Intel reps that the drives had power loss protection. Now we aren't sure if there are caps in the production unit (which can be answered by a teardown) and we aren't sure if they'd do the job given the additional power consumption. Intel won't tell you, they're pointing to the official spec sheet and saying there isn't power protection at all.

Reactions: Patrick and Dk3

Nadster

Nov 24, 2014
A review/teardown of a production Intel 730 SSD (240 GB) does indeed show the presence of two power-loss protection capacitors on the PCB:

Review, Teardown: Intel 730 Series 240Gb (SSDSC2BP240G4) Solid-State Drive | Gough's Tech Zone

The box label shows a manufacture date of 06MAR2014, while the product label on the backside of the SSD lacks any “Engineering Samples Only” wording present on virtually all of the initial units reviewed earlier this year.

More curiously, the screenshots showing the 730 SSD SMART attributes clearly have an entry for ID AFh (Power Loss Protection Failure). This attribute is defined in the Product Specification PDFs for both the DC S3500/S3700 product lines, but is conspicuously omitted in the 730 SSD version:

Intel® Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series: Specification
Intel® Solid-State Drive DC S3700 Series: Specification
Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series Specification

It sure seems like power-loss protection is an undocumented feature of this product line…

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
More to come later. Apologies I am in transit again.

There are indeed two capacitors on the Intel 730 480GB retail kit. That does not necessarily mean that there is power loss protection. The firmware feature angle and the idea that the 730 may use more power thus making the capacitors insufficient may be the case still.

Will post more later.

Dk3

Jan 10, 2014
SG
More to come later. Apologies I am in transit again.

There are indeed two capacitors on the Intel 730 480GB retail kit. That does not necessarily mean that there is power loss protection. The firmware feature angle and the idea that the 730 may use more power thus making the capacitors insufficient may be the case still.

Will post more later.
Patrick, you shouldn't apologise, we are very glad you are helping the committee to uncover the mystery with so much effort even though you are so busy. Thumbs up for you. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

But still, looking forward to know if the capacitors able to withstand the actual loss of power. Your research will actually result in the increasing or decreasing sales of 730 in amazon. Lol~

slatfats

Nov 3, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Pardon my ignorance, but how long should the capacitors maintain power? Is it possible to measure it, or compare side-by-side to an SSD without power loss prevention, simply by flipping the power switch on a bench PSU?
If someone has one, they set up a GoPro and record at a very high fps to verify...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but how long should the capacitors maintain power? Is it possible to measure it, or compare side-by-side to an SSD without power loss prevention, simply by flipping the power switch on a bench PSU?
If someone has one, they set up a GoPro and record at a very high fps to verify...
PLP happens *much* faster than this. Figure you need no more than 1s to dump the write buffer (and likely significantly less.) During that 1s max you would only need enough powered on to perform the dump and you would want everything else turned off.

Bruce72

Dec 11, 2014
Hi, borrowed an s3500 to compare with my laptop 730. Posted a snapshot of both from Intel SSD toolbox smart data. Looks similar for both in the power loss protection area. Both s3500 and 730 change "minutes since last test" and the "last test result value" as I refresh and power cycle the drives. Numbers look close, sure looks like 730 has power loss protection per SMART details. Total number of tests stays at "1" for both drives with power cycles and testing. I have my 730 in a Dell Precision 4500, works great and heat does not seem to be greater versus spinning HD.

Anyone know where to look for AES info to verify 730 has AES like the s3500?

Attachments

Reactions: Dk3 and Patrick