The evolution of a home server

Discussion in 'DIY and Makers Spot' started by nonyhaha, Sep 10, 2019.

1. nonyhaha

nonyhaha New Member

I just posted my first question here today and I thought this would be a nice time to share some pictures with the evolution of my home server in the past 5 or so years.

I guess everybody here knows what we are talking about so:
    1: the beginning: Asrock AD2700B ITX:
    [​IMG]

Running Xpenology, the best user interface of them all. With useful apps for backing up photos on the phone/s of the family.
    2: Putting it in a box:
    [​IMG]

The logic thing to do. All in a box, including the router, everything powered by the 12V general psu.
    3: The first upgrade - Asrock J3455b itx:
    [​IMG]

2 disks, moving to windows 10 with storage spaces. Upgraded motherboard to use IGPU for transcoding on the fly for home media sharing.
    4: moving up the ladder. Supermicro A1sai 2750F, 2x4tb wd red + 120gb ssd for OS:
    [​IMG]

Time to move to Windows Server 2016. Virtual machines running pfsense and motioneye, the tplink router used as AP.
    5: NOW:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windows Server 2019, adding a quadro p400 card, moving to parity storage with 4x4tb wd red. Case in the making using 3d printed parts for best design award :) - 8,6l capable of housing 6 disks, itx board, 1 low profile gpu using extension pcie cable, the 12V general PSU and the ssd for OS. Oh, and 2 breautiful fans, which I hope will be up for the task.

Brb in a few days with the result :)

2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

I like the case.
    Very functional design.

3. nonyhaha

nonyhaha New Member

I managed to fit all in, I am still working on hooking the case "cover" which holds the psu :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am waiting now to transfer my mirror to a parity storage space.

oh boy oh boy, I am also setting up nextcloud because of the new and improved google photos that no longer syncs to google drive (I like to keep a personal copy of all my photos)

Patrick likes this.
  4. nezach

nezach Active Member

That's a nice case.

Make sure you have a good ground between components, since the case is plastic and it cannot be used as electrical pathway.