The Dell C6100 workstation enclosure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
lol i'm surprised they didn't know it off completely for the apple true look.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
That is so awesome. I want some... dangit, now I guess I'm going to have to work on that physical hack next.

bernardgam

May 8, 2013
In its specification, it can support Apple Mac System, but needs a Nvidia graphics card. Very Special.

Zleako

May 29, 2013
Anyone know what modification to the atx powersupply would be? cant' tell from the pictures exactly

johnduhart

Mar 14, 2013
This is absolutely amazing! I had dreamed of being able to convert a C6100 node into a standalone unit!

The fact that they're also running OS X on it is also crazy.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Anyone know what modification to the atx powersupply would be? cant' tell from the pictures exactly
Most likely just the main ATX power connector to match the proprietary connectors on the Dell sled.

johnduhart

Mar 14, 2013
You're right, it's not very clear. Looking at picture with the power supply we can see what appears to be a PCIe connector, and an odd 12 pin connector consisting of only ground and +12V and appears to connect to the node in other pictures

However, in another picture there's a bigger bundle of cables heading towards the mindplane (which isn't picuted in the PSU pic)

Really confusing.

It also looks like in some pictures the midplane connector is blurred out for some reason.

Can someone with a C6100 take some pictures of the midplane and power distribution? I'm interested how these things are wired up stock.

---

I'm really considering buying one of these to reverse engineer it for everyone here. Would there be interest in that?

Zleako

May 29, 2013
Exactly what I was getting at. As for making a case for it doesn't seem all that challenging either, providing there is some sort of pin-config that would work. Currently looking at a 4 node c6100 to acquire then trying to figure it out from there, ill have use for the other 3 as a test environment for my job, and 1 to play on.

utp

May 30, 2013
I bought 1 set, the case is ammmmmm, kind of cheap.... now running with just the board.

utp

May 30, 2013
You're right, it's not very clear. Looking at picture with the power supply we can see what appears to be a PCIe connector, and an odd 12 pin connector consisting of only ground and +12V and appears to connect to the node in other pictures

However, in another picture there's a bigger bundle of cables heading towards the mindplane (which isn't picuted in the PSU pic)

Really confusing.

It also looks like in some pictures the midplane connector is blurred out for some reason.

Can someone with a C6100 take some pictures of the midplane and power distribution? I'm interested how these things are wired up stock.

---

I'm really considering buying one of these to reverse engineer it for everyone here. Would there be interest in that?
The blured part is the interposer board, which is not connected on their bundle, maybe thats why they blur it.

utp

May 30, 2013
It run on normal ATX power, they short the ATX pin to make the PSU go on and set BIOS to on when power on.

johnduhart

Mar 14, 2013
The blured part is the interposer board, which is not connected on their bundle, maybe thats why they blur it.
That would make sense. After looking at documentation and some teardown videos the interposer board wouldn't serve any purpose outside of the original chassis.

Could you take pictures of what was delivered?

Rain

May 13, 2013
Sorry for the low-quality cell-phone picture, but here you go: Link

The connector on the imposer board is a 12-pin, standard size plug. (Standard size in that the pins are the same size as a normal ATX connector; I've never seen a 12-pin before). The connector on the motherboard itself is slightly smaller than normal.

There are 5 yellow (presumably +12V) wires, 6 black (ground) wires, and 1 purple (???) wire.

Let me know if you want pictures from another angle.

Edit: Oh wait, lol. Due to my quick-skim of the thread, I didn't realize that you wanted a picture of the actual enclosure that utp had received. Hopefully the above picture helps anyway! :D

Last edited:

utp

May 30, 2013
That would make sense. After looking at documentation and some teardown videos the interposer board wouldn't serve any purpose outside of the original chassis.

I see, no wonder the seller didn't even ship the cable that connect to the board.

Actually the photos above is actually what I got from the seller, the photo is telling the full story.
:)

PS: got OSX 10.8.3 running on ESXi 5.1, it works quite nice, next is a display card to passthru...

Last edited:

utp

May 30, 2013
I know this is gonna be a long shot, I know that there is another PCI-e slot on the board, which I am interested to use it for a USB3 card, anyone any info on pinouts or so on the extra port?

Thanks!

utp

May 30, 2013
Whoa! How did you do this?
I purchase OSX ML while I was still using a Mac, so I have the files around.

Quick search for ESXi with OSX 10.8, it turns out vmware did made some post about it and confirm support.

The trick is you will need to patch ESXi itself to allow the installation to go thru,
VMware Unlocker for OS X - InsanelyMac Forum

All I did was enable SSH from ESXi on C6100, SFTP files on /tmp and run the install.sh, let it run, reboot.

Following the steps by vmware
VMware Documentation for OS X 10.8
and it will install like normal.

Reactions: leebo_28