Test stability of DIY BUILD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Soujiro

Jan 13, 2018
hello, we'll make a franken server from two dells r815 with 64 mb ram each and 2 cpus. In the past both machines shows "memory errors" so we purchase new memory but we are not confident in the health of the motherboards.
How we can test that the final franken server (4 cpus, 128gb ram) is reliable? we are thinking in run memtest a day, prime95 a day? any other ideas?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
run memtest a day, prime95 a day
Yes to both tests.
Every time , I purchased stuff from Ebay, I perform these two tests.
Cheap items gets 12-24 hours testing, otherwise it is 1-2 days for stress testing.

It is the reason that I have no extra working space because testing is always on-going.

Added, using Prime95 for stress testing, be sure to use custom mode to use all available ram.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
hello, we'll make a franken server from two dells r815 with 64 mb ram each and 2 cpus. In the past both machines shows "memory errors" so we purchase new memory but we are not confident in the health of the motherboards.
How we can test that the final franken server (4 cpus, 128gb ram) is reliable? we are thinking in run memtest a day, prime95 a day? any other ideas?
Also welcome to the forums!

I like what Marsh recommends. I'd test with prime95 and two sticks. Wait till you get a successful test and then start adding sticks (probably in pairs) and keep validating that all ram sticks work.

I've been burned by this before, too, check for any shorts you might have in your "franken" build -- look for maybe motherboard standoffs that you might have missed (known to have caused me to lose a stick or two by just having a short on a standoff contact), or a bad thermal paste application etc.

Reactions: Markess