Teracopy undo delete

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
I have an old server running that I recently migrated over to TrueNas successfully after running into major Esxi issues.

Once I got it running over to TrueNas I was attempting to do a backup to an external drive before upgrading my server hardware. I used Teracopy to copy the data to a 12TB hard drive.

For some reason teracopy deleted 3,000+ files but copied over 15,000+ files over. There was about 9TB of drive in use at the time. It looks like I lost about 1TB of random files according to the Teracopy log. Both disks still show space available. I use teracopy mainly because of the verify feature and it seems to handle errors better than Windows on huge copies. Does anyone have an idea how I could possibly recover this? Does the paid version have any features that may help?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have nothing that can help you with your case, only general advice...
Read the manual, documentation or help before you try to run tools/commands and always test it with unimportant data/copies of your data instead the original ones and then verify that the result matches your expected result ._.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
So using recovery software how does it work? It just looks for recently deleted files? Or do I have to direct it what to look for?

Unfortunately I tested it first and have used it many times in the past without this issue. I don't know if it's because of the size of the copy that this presented the problem or why it exactly happened. I am still replaying that in my head.