Teaser: New Toy - Nimble CS300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
The OS from Nimble is similar to NetApp's DataOnTap (Nimble hired some of the NetApp software designers). They uses their own file system similar to WAFL(they say it is improved). They depend on inline compression for their space management. I have not seen any of their recent products. but I got burned real bad by NetApp. we did not want to take a risk with them.

WAFL has a serious design flaw, once you get over 65%-75% your write performance takes a nose dive. my old 3PAR T400 can do more write IOPS at 98%full than our NetApp 6290 can @30% full. (at one time I had 4 vendors (EMC,XIO,3PAR,NetApp), then down to 2 (3PAR,NetApp)... now 5 again (3Par,EMC,XIO,DataCore,NetApp)...

Since the group I am in more than a 1 PB of data through our system per day... performance is one of our KPI. I am not certain that when your system is above 60% capacity you will be as happy with your purchase as you are right now.

The future in storage is Tiered SSD's where you have NVMe for fast storage and TLC for long term storage. Storage has always been what has been holding systems back.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
@cesmith9999

1 PB/day of data is immense (for today) :)

If you can say, what task/industry is that? The usual, HPC/research/simulation?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Software development. I cannot say anything more than that. you should see our networking numbers... they make my storage numbers look small by comparison...

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
Your saying of "software development" raised a flag and I might know what you are talking about. Maybe everyone else knows too. =)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Your saying of "software development" raised a flag and I might know what you are talking about. Maybe everyone else knows too. =)
Obvious. Network and storage = Minecraft hosting and development. :D