tape backup in 2023

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
After reading the post https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/quantum-fc-lto5-drive-26-used-untested.41512/ I got inspired to take a look a tape backup systems. I ended up getting a Quantum Superloader 3 LTO 5 system. It is auto loading system holding 16 tapes and has one drive. Right now I have 4 tapes plus one cleaning tape loaded. The server has a LSI SAS9207-8e in IT mode installed. The server is running proxmox 7.4, I tried to put the card into a VM using pci passthrough but was kept hitting a problem with the lack of IOMMU. I ended up leaving the card attached proxmox and installed acronis in promox. I did have to install java in prxomox using this Download Java | Java 8, Java 11, Java 17, Java 20 - OpenJDK Builds for Linux, Windows & macOS. To get Tape support you need Acronis Cyber Protect Advanced which is $925. So far I amusing the test version and so far I like the software.

Given the cost does anyone know of a good backup software that supports tapes, runs on linux, has a UI and not crazy high price.
I have also looked at nakivo,I got it installed but does not seem to be able to backup files only disks which does not work for since my files are on a moosefs share.
zmanda and bacula free versions seem very complex to get up and running.

Here is what it looks like in the OS
1695516678293.png
1695516708401.png

Acronis UI
1695517118728.png

Last edited:

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
Proxmox Backup Server supports tape changers. No personal experience with it, but it's free.

thanks for the pointer, downloading it now for testing. I do like the examples are using the same superloader I have. One thing I am not sure it does this support just files on the filesystem or only vm backups. I will report back what I find.