Suppliers for "build-to-spec" PCs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briancheung

Nov 12, 2020
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask (and feel free to move this post if another category is more appropriate), but I figured that there would be enough people with deep experience with this here.

Driven partially by COVID this year, the company I work for (finance startup) moved to remote first, which has allowed us to look at potential candidates from a lot of new places where we don't have offices. One issue that we're having trying to onboard new people where we can't simply ask them to come into an office and pick up their PC.

Right now, we have some standard "enterprise-y" providers that assemble a machine, send it to our office where one person deploys the standard image, installs the applications then couriers it to the new employee. Seems a bit inefficient - both from a cost and shipping things to and fro perspective.

Does anybody know of good "build-to-spec" suppliers that are a bit more "technical" and less "enterprisey" that can build machines according to our specs and send them to various countries. Ideally, they could deploy a custom image we give them or alternately, I guess we can send a USB stick to the employee and an assembled machine sent directly from the supplier to them, and the employee mates the two.

I guess the main gripes I have about our current suppliers is a lack of sensibility - things like trying to charge us VAT on a machine to be sent outside the EU, or making us wait for weeks for a specific part that is backordered while there are perfectly reasonable alternatives available - and not telling us. We're less worried about standard enterprisey things - like warranties or ongoing support, so we're wondering if there are suppliers that are more aligned to what we want, without all the faff around it. "Build spec A developer machine, send to developer. Build spec C researcher machine, send to new researcher."

Has anyone here dealt with similar issues or know of good suppliers that we could look into?

briancheung

Nov 12, 2020
Ah. I wasn't even thinking of pirated software and the like.

I was thinking given a automated unattended windows install or ubuntu install - set of salt scripts or "choco install" scripts so there's a standard set of programs installed for the users. So we don't have to send the computer to our office and have a human do it in the office, then repackage it and send it off to the user. That seems like an extra, unnecessary step.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Why not use group policies and distribute/run a batch/powershell script that installs and configures all necessary tools?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Many of the VAR's that will build servers and workstations for you will also put whatever software image on the box for you before shipping. I have used Broadberry in the UK (they ship quick to the EU and North America) and ThinkMate outside of Boston, MA recently with good results. Both would put systems up on a PXE network in their build / QA lab and let us do an initial install, then they can grab a system image to deploy to the next system we ordered.

I have worked with HP/HPE vars for the same in the past as well, and even big vendors like CDW have groups that will pre-load and test before shipping new systems out. It just comes down to scale and how many systems you think you would order the same way before the hardware moves ahead a generation and you would refresh the images.

Reactions: briancheung

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How many systems are you talking about like 2 a month? 50 a month? 10 a year?