Supermicro X9SPU-F Motherboard (No CPU & RAM) in CSE-847 chassis suddenly turns on/off repeatedly. What could be the issue?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbod_or_die

Jul 25, 2023
Video:
This setup used to boot a few days ago. During that time I had it off and did some cable re-organization with the chassis and power strip. Now trying to boot it again it turns on, beeps, and then turns off immediately after. Note there are 2x PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs and I have tried with both plugged in, and only one of either plugged in, with still the same issue. Any thoughts as to what this could be or troubleshooting recommendations? Thank you.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Is your front panel connector backwards? Just a guess 'cause I've definitely never done that. :p

jbod_or_die

Jul 25, 2023
I've tried switching around the front panel connector and it's the same issue. Either way I tried booting via IPMI and it's the same issue. Could it be something wrong with the motherboard?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If the board boots out of the chassis fine, as @zac1 noted it is short of some sort.

Did you recently update the IPMI firmware and / or Bios?
I had similar issue with X10SRA-F. The only way I could resolve was to
- put it on bench
- disable IPMI.
- update the BIOS in recovery mode
- take the BIOS defaults and make sure it boots
- enable IPMI and update it use the option to reset to defaults.

Here is the link to SM KB

jbod_or_die

Jul 25, 2023
Nope I didn’t update the IPMI. Also I can connect to the IPMI just fine but it just doesn’t boot, turns on for split second and turns off. I’ve tried isolating it electrically from the chassis and it’s still the same issue. Any other suggestions?

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Try unplugging the power cables from everything. Then, short the PS_ON (green pin on 24-pin connector) to ground (any of the black pins) and see if it's still having the issue (only real indication of whether it's on would be the PSU fans). Then try plugging various combinations of things back in.

jbod_or_die

Jul 25, 2023
Try unplugging the power cables from everything. Then, short the PS_ON (green pin on 24-pin connector) to ground (any of the black pins) and see if it's still having the issue (only real indication of whether it's on would be the PSU fans). Then try plugging various combinations of things back in.
Thanks, it does power on correctly with PS_ON shorted so does that mean the motherboard is probably faulty?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks, it does power on correctly with PS_ON shorted so does that mean the motherboard is probably faulty?
PCH firmware controls power on/off
it is not usual keep power on without CPU, something must have been done before removing the CPU.
imho this setting is cleared now by loss of power.

jbod_or_die

Jul 25, 2023
I've' managed to get ahold of a CPU and RAM and installed them. However it's still doing the same thing. It powers on and then powers off immediately. Does that reveal anything?