Supermicro X9SCM-F no longer booting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Faldaani

Sep 12, 2016
Hi

Flashed an M1015 from IR to IT mode, couldnt find controller using megacli (but disks showed), flashed back to IR mode. Still couldn't. Did an "rmmod mpt3sas" in Ubuntu, got a kernel panic, restarted the server.

CONSTANT BEEPING.
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (I think it was 5.. or 6) <pause> <repeat>
POST snooping in IPMI is all over the place, looks like its in an infinite reboot loop.

Reset CMOS, pulled battery. No difference.

Pulled a RAM stick, now it no longer repeats the beeping, it just beeps 6 times and the post code is 55 which indicates no memory present.

If I fill the RAM up with all modules it goes back to infinite beeping.

I've tried all combinations of RAM sticks that previously worked, in 1, 2, 3 and 4 module combinations.
In some 3-memory configurations it stops at post code 00.

IPMI sensors view has no readings. IPMI console or serial console is blank.
Unfortunately I have no monitor with VGA input (or any monitor at all for that matter), so I don't know if it tries to output something via VGA.

This server has worked fine for YEARS.

Help.

EDIT: All cards and harddrives have been unplugged

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have you removed the m1015? I assume you have but just to be sure. and all other cards?

Faldaani

Sep 12, 2016
Yep, all cards are gone. All harddrives are unplugged.

Only thing plugged into the motherboard is the power, a few fans and the standard headers needed for LED/power button. Even pulled the intrusion switch and tried different fans incase it was a RPM alarm.

Faldaani

Sep 12, 2016
I've confirmed that CPU and RAM work in another machine.
So I guess that the mobo is dead.

Amazing that some combination of flashing an LSI card and unloading a kernel module can fry a motherboard.
I'm afraid of plugging that LSI card into another machine..