Supermicro X9DRX-F, no post no beep no VGA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hi all, I would like to see if anyone has similar experience with this motherboard. It was newly acquired. I plan to install two E5-2628Lv2 CPUs on this system and 2X 8G ECC RAM. The first time I tried to boot up with the above minimum configuration there was no post no beep and no video. IPMI works fine but no KVM signal at all. Also can't see BIOS version. Interestingly I was able to upgrade the IPMI firmware without any issue. The CPU are warm so I know there is power supplied to CPU. The fan is spinning.

I thought I needed to upgrade the BIOS so that it supports v2 E5. Then I purchased one cheap E5-2609 ES v1 CPU and hoped to install only one CPU to boot. I tried. Same thing, no change.

I noticed after I power up the motherboard the system keep resetting the PSU (i.e. PSU is on then after a few seconds it is off then this repeats repeatedly without stop). I have tried another PSU and no change.

Even though I remove all the RAM with only one CPU install I hear no beeping. No video. No post. Only a working IPMI for me.

I am really confused at the moment. Should find a standard retail version E5-2600 Xeon v1 CPU to try? Or should I do anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I had somewhat similar experience with x9drd board. But I had beep codes indicating no video. I bought a cheap PCIe 1x video card and disabled on board VGA jumper and was able to boot. I noticed 3 or 4 automatic resets too. Updated to the latest BIOS, cleared CMOS. That seems to have done the trick. IPMI was hosed and I disabled it. Then it booted up and was much quicker.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thanks! Finally I resolve the problem. I plugged in a retail version of E5-2620v1 CPU and it boots normally now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk