SuperMicro X9DRT-HIBQF IPMi glitch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
I hope someone will know the solution to a problem that we encountered recently.
We have few nodes with X9DRT-HIBQF, when we do reboot/shutdown/poweron - IPMI looses connection to internet and reconects within 15 seconds.
So if we work via IPMI, we can't upload the image to server. Currently IPMI configured to share the port #1.

Maybe someone had this kind if glitch and know how to resolve it?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We have few nodes with X9DRT-HIBQF, when we do reboot/shutdown/poweron - IPMI looses connection to internet and reconects within 15 seconds. Currently IPMI configured to share the port #1.
If the board has a dedicated IPMI LAN connector, you'll probably get better results with it.

Your problem sounds like the OS Ethernet driver doesn't know about shared IPMI ports - it thinks it has exclusive access to that port, so it does a full reset / initialize / autonegotiate when the OS boots. That can cause any IPMI sessions to hang, but I don't think they should drop completely - that would imply a very short TCP timeout or a TCP RST coming from the IPMI controller. A tcpdump / wireshark / etc. capture might be helpful, but watch out for username / password captured in the dump if you post the capture somewhere for people to look at.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
If the board has a dedicated IPMI LAN connector, you'll probably get better results with it.

Your problem sounds like the OS Ethernet driver doesn't know about shared IPMI ports - it thinks it has exclusive access to that port, so it does a full reset / initialize / autonegotiate when the OS boots. That can cause any IPMI sessions to hang, but I don't think they should drop completely - that would imply a very short TCP timeout or a TCP RST coming from the IPMI controller. A tcpdump / wireshark / etc. capture might be helpful, but watch out for username / password captured in the dump if you post the capture somewhere for people to look at.
Will check with dedicated IPMI, but it's not an option to do that for all nodes.
Net dump with power reset in attachment, if someone could see something there... I don't see anything.

Attachments

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
If you're sharing the IPMI with the onboard network cards, you will lose IPMI when the network card get initialized at (re)boot. As well, if the network card isn't initialized by the OS (like booting DOS for example), you will not have IPMI. This isn't an issue with your board specifically, but a general issue with sharing IPMI with LAN on Motherboard (LOM) interfaces.

The dedicated IPMI interface will resolve issues like that. It takes an extra cable, but in most cases it's worth it. I checked with the manual for your board, and it does provide a dedicated IPMI interface.