Supermicro X9DRL - Poor SSD Write Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Running an X9DRL with Server 2012 R2. Read speeds are bangin at around 550MB/s on both of my plugged in SSDs (120gb Kingston V300 and 480GB Sandisk Extreme II), but my write speeds look to top out at 80-90MB/s sequential and 400KB/s 4k non queued (100 IOPS).

Latest Intel C600 Drivers (RSTe) for the controller installed. Tried downgrading to RST but that just made the server unbootable and forced me to do a last known config to get it back.

Plug the drives into my Workstation, 400-500MB writes as expected. Measured using CrystlDiskMark.

Manually ran Trim just in case. Disabled and enabled Write Caching both to no avail.

Any bright thoughts? 100 IOPS for an SSD while writing is a little pathetic.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
So I've played around with it more and enabled a setting I thought I'd never want to on a non-capacitor backed server (it's UPS backed though). The no cache flush option on the drive seems to give me the expected performance. But should this option really give such a multi-fold improvement or is it just masking another enabled option somewhere else?

Option:

Without Option:

With Option: