Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ wont power on

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
I bought a used SM X9DRi-LN4F+ rev 1.1 on ebay, received 2 weeks ago, sourced some xeons and got round to modding a phanteks enthoo primo case to fit the motherboard and 3x gpus (one on a custom bracket connecting via pcie riser), only to find the board wont power on.

Tested psu and it works fine. Swapped out the CR2032 battery for a new one. Unplugged all psu cables and board cables, installed 1 cpu (e5-2690 v1) and 2 ram dimms. Connected the main 24 pin power cable and 2 x 8 pin cpu cables.
Connected front panel 2 pin cables (pwr led, hdd led, reset and power switches).
Turn on power, nothing, no noise, no lights. After 30 seconds or so the green heartbeat LED at bottom left of board flashes on off steadilly. Tried power on using case power button, nothing. i checked the jumpers listed in manual and doesnt look like there are any jumpers that would disable power in.

Any thing else i can try (only other possible thing i can think of is swap out cpu)?

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Beyond clearing CMOS etc. See if the BMC is up and try using IPMI/ KVM to power it on? Is it still in the chassis? If so, remove it and just try it on your desk. Rmove the CPU and carefully inspect for bent pins in the sockets etc. Try with different RAM that you know is definitely good etc. Beyond that, send it back to the seller and get a refund :)

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
Thanks, pulled the board out and plugged in psu on desk, shorted power pin with copper wire, started OK. Cheers

Last edited:

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
I've found that sometimes a standoff on the chassis that does not align can cause the mobo not to post as it may be causing a short during boot. But you're right the rev 1.10 wont support anything v2 in the past when the board was not EOL supermicro could/would help by sending the board back to them.

Reactions: Agremlin