Supermicro X9DR3-F-B Fan control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Apolinar Zaragoza

Aug 24, 2017
I recently upgraded to this motherboard Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DR3-F from this Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SL7-F the issue i'm having is that the fans will speed up all of the sudden then they will slow down. It does it non stop no matter if i set the ipmi fan speed to Optimal. The work around i came across was setting the bios under cpu performance to energy efficient. I did change it back to performance after the fans would stay at optimal speed which i thought was weird. But after a reboot they went back up to spinning up fast then slow , and once again i had to change the cpu performance to energy saver. Is there a reason why this is happening and is there a solution to be able to run the cpu's on performance mode without running into this problem?

skelleton

Nov 4, 2015
It might be an issue with the fan speed.
If check the lower fan speed limits for warning and critical in ipmi.

The fans on fan channels 1-4 will spin at 30% in optimal and the ones on the auxiliary channels (FAN A and FAN B) will spin at 25%
If the fan speed on these settings is below the lower critical limit, IPMI will speed up the fans to 100% for a short time.

Apolinar Zaragoza

Aug 24, 2017
Is there a tool or program I use for this? I'm quite new to all this stuff so if i could be pointed in the right direction that would be great. Thank you in advance. By the way I'm using Unraid on my setup.

Last edited:

skelleton

Nov 4, 2015
I use ipmitool on linux, but I don't remember the specific commands to set the fan thresholds, you have to google that.