Supermicro X9DBL-3F return video to VGA port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Frank Tarczynski

Apr 7, 2020
I've got a X9DBL-3F motherboard with V3.2 BIOS that was used as a workstation with a PCI-E video card.

Now I want to pull the card and get video out the VGA port. I'm not getting any boot video on the VGA port using a VGA-HDMI adapter but I can see the BIOS screens in the IPMI console.

Anyone know how to get the boot video back out the onboard VGA port? I've reset and dug through the BIOS settings but haven't had any luck.

Frank

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
checked JPG1 jumper ?
short pins 1-2 to enable VGA.

if not work:
set BIOS to defaults, save and reset, turn off, remove PCIeGPU.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Now I want to pull the card and get video out the VGA port. I'm not getting any boot video on the VGA port using a VGA-HDMI adapter but I can see the BIOS screens in the IPMI console.
I had a modern monitor that didn't like the VGA output from a Supermicro motherboard. I thought the board was bad because I wasn't getting any output, even though the monitor detected a signal. Then, I hooked it up to an older monitor and it was fine.

Perhaps something like this is your issue. The VGA to HDMI adapter in the mix makes me think it could be.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
vga to hdmi requires active adapters, if you have a "dumb" hdmi to vga adapter it won't work

Sundar

Oct 31, 2018
I have seen this type of issue with a Supermicro X9 board. The X9 boards use some lower resolution modes, like 640x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800. Cheaper VGA-to-HDMI converters only support the higher VGA resolutions (sometimes only 1920x1080). I bought this cheap VGA-to-HDMI adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K14NR8P) and it works - listing also explicitly lists the lower resolution VGA modes.

As an example, this other VGA-to-HDMI adapter that I had earlier, that is no longer available (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CY1RWH9) does not support the lower resolution VGA modes.