Supermicro x8st3-f + Norco 4220 how do I connect the Intel CPU cooler?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
I have an x8st3-f montherboard, and I also bought the original Intel CPU cooler

But my Norco 4220 doesn't have anything to screw the cooler to. I've looked into the brown box that came with the case, but I can't seem to find anything that fits.

Here are the parts that came with the chassis:

Here is the CPU cooler:

This is what the Norco chassis looks like:

The 4 holes in the chassis lines up with the 4 holes in the motherboard, which again lines up with the screws of the CPU-cooler.

But when I put the cooler on the motherboard the screws does not reach the holes in the chassis and they're too small for the holes anyway so there is some sort of riser missing.

The screws fitt into the typical bronze colored motherboard riser, but these are too thin for the holes in the chassis.

Am I missing something?

Did a little "hack" where I grinded off the screw part and a little extra of 4 of those bronze raisers. I then used those as nuts for the screws on the CPU, it works, but I'd rather use the intended soluton.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The X8ST3-F is a Tylersburg board so it does not have a Xeon backplate that accepts those screws and instead a desktop 1366 mounting system. That is a big difference between the UP boards meant for the W series Xeons and the DP and MP boards for the E/X series (and some L) Xeons. Basically, you can find a ~90mm ish desktop tower cooler and it should fit and be much quieter than the HSF you have in hand.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Thank you. I do have a desktop CPU cooler that fits, but it's blows the air from the top down and not from the front, so I was worried that wan't optimal for a server.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Top down is fine in a case that has ample air-volume around the CPU (like the 4220). Strict front-back airflow is more important in 1U/2U designs.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
With an E5506 you are probably "OK" but I would suggest that you may want to look for a small tower cooler eventually.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Ok, I found both a Shuriken rev B and one of those big Noctua NH-U12 coolers on my shelf.

But my "hack" seems to work fine aswell.