Supermicro X8DTT-IBQF Blade Randomly Reboots

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Luzer

Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
I’ve had my blades, four X8DTT-IBQF, for about two years now and one of them just started to randomly reboot. It’s the left blade in a 808T-1200B chassis and after some troubleshooting I thought it was the PDE because when I switched the blades in the chassis, from left to right, the blade on the left wouldn’t stay on. When I get the new PDE the left blade stayed on overnight and I thought I fixed it.

Now the blade just turned off and won’t turn back on. The power readings seems normal, I’m using PRTG to monitor the voltages, and I can connect to the IPMI and read the sensors and connect to the console but nothing shows up. When I physically press the power button nothing happens until I unplug the power for a few minutes. When I plug the power back in the left blade spins it fans, I think tries to turn on, then turns off and I can't turn it back on unless I leave the power unplugged for an hour or so.

The whole time this is going on the right blade is ok. I got the blades and chassis used off of ebay and haven't had any issues since this week.

Any ideas where to look or check next? I'm thinking of using the power supply From my good chassis to rule that out. Also, this happens with nothing plugged in to the blade.

IPMI Voltage Reading: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

IPMI Temperature: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:

Luzer

Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
I tried a new (used off of ebay) PSU and still cant blade on the left to turn on. Whats confusing is that its receiving power but when I press the power button it doesn't do anything but (still clicks like normal).

Luzer

Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Now I think it might be the chassis or the backplane. I took the blades out of the chassis and just have the psu/pde and plugged in and no reboots yet.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Now I think it might be the chassis or the backplane. I took the blades out of the chassis and just have the psu/pde and plugged in and no reboots yet.
When I bout my fat twin, purchased a spare backplane ( used ) off ebay, cheap, as there is a far bit goin on inside those backplanes with the power system going thri them as well. Good Luck..