Supermicro X8DTL-3F Not posting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Awkemacspjg2

Jul 25, 2016
I assembled the full build, then connected the VGA cable to a known to work monitor. It seems that it won't display, and any keyboard, whether USB or PS2 doesn't light up. I have checked all the jumpers, I believe, and made sure the CMOS battery is good.

My suspicion is the RAM, as when I have 1 stick in each of the first slots I get long beeps from the motherboard, however, the RAM is on the compatibility list and it does not beep when I put in two into each CPU's slots. Any ideas?

Specs:
Supermicro X8DTL-3F - with pci-e riser
EVGA 650Watt Gold Plus modular power supply
4x Hynix DDR3 PC3-10600R 1333 MHz 240-Pin ECC REG RDIMM
2x Intel Xeon E5649 2.53GHz
Some cheap CPU coolers and fans.

keybored

May 28, 2016
You can wait a bit to see if someone else has other ideas. If not, that would probably be my course of action; i.e., try various permutations of installed components. Is there any history to this board? Have you used it in the past or did you just get it?

Awkemacspjg2

Jul 25, 2016
You can wait a bit to see if someone else has other ideas. If not, that would probably be my course of action; i.e., try various permutations of installed components. Is there any history to this board? Have you used it in the past or did you just get it?
I just got it, however it was bought used. I cannot say how it was treated before I got it. The seller was trustworthy however, so I doubt if it is the board. Now that I am thinking about it, however, on this motherboard there is something called the I-button, and it looks like it may be missing.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I just got it, however it was bought used. I cannot say how it was treated before I got it. The seller was trustworthy however, so I doubt if it is the board. Now that I am thinking about it, however, on this motherboard there is something called the I-button, and it looks like it may be missing.
Mine was missing ibutton looking battery as well, not needed, used for some sort or raid functionality if memory serves me correct.

Awkemacspjg2

Jul 25, 2016
After much research, I believe my problem is the bios not recognizing the E5649s due to the need for a bios update. Just to check, I ordered a cheap quad core 5500 xeon which should be supported by the older bios, and just in case, a couple GB of different ram. Will keep you all posted. Thank you.

Awkemacspjg2

Jul 25, 2016
Got my CPU today, the E5507 worked, and I was able to install a bios update. This board's bios hadn't been updated since 2009, it had no support for the E5649s. After the update, the E5649s worked like a charm. Thanks for your help everyone!