Supermicro X8DTi Dual Socket LGA1366 5500/5600 DDR3 Mobo + IO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Clock for clock the Ivy Bridge (E3-1200 v2) should be 10-20% faster in most applications.
Clock for clock the I3-1200 v2 will probably be more expensive, especially if you are willing to take used CPUs for the Westmere.
You are limited to 4c/8t with the E3-1200 vs 6c/12t with westmere
You are limited to single socket with the E3-1200 vs 2 socket with Westmere.
The E3-1200 v2 will be more power efficient, with the most gain when operating near idle.

Reactions: Boddy and Patrick

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Clock for clock the Ivy Bridge (E3-1200 v2) should be 10-20% faster in most applications.
Clock for clock the I3-1200 v2 will probably be more expensive, especially if you are willing to take used CPUs for the Westmere.
You are limited to 4c/8t with the E3-1200 vs 6c/12t with westmere
You are limited to single socket with the E3-1200 vs 2 socket with Westmere.
The E3-1200 v2 will be more power efficient, with the most gain when operating near idle.
Many thanks PigLover for your detailed comparison :)

Any CPU you would recommend to go with this board: Supermicro X9SCI-LN4F-B? (To go with Supermicro 3U 16bay chassis) Cheers

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I've got the X8DTI running dual Xeon L5639's (6c/12t x 2) with 12 sticks of 4GB ECC RAM I scavanged from a Dell C1100.

It works well, power consumption is what you would expect, it is in a Cooler Master full tower case with 1-200mm fan, 2-120mm and 2-140mm fans so it runs very quietly. It is a testing environment for me so I also put in two dirt cheap HP P400 RAID cards ($7/each). They are of limited capability (SATA1/SAS2 speeds, no more than 2TB drives) but work well for what I need them for.

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks talsit for your feedback. I'm leaning towards going for a XADTI dual 6c CPUs. I like your system, it's amazing how you can put together a powerful system so cheaply.

Many people can now afford to have a Server in the Home.

(It would make a great media server and fibre internet surfer for a large family :p)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I spotted many Supermicro X8DTi DUAL SOCKET LGA1366 DDR3 Mobo IO MBD-X8DTi-F motherboards on Ebay at the moment:

$120 X8DTi DUAL SOCKET LGA1366 DDR3 Mobo IO MBD-X8DTi-F -B
Supermicro X8DTI Dual Socket LGA1366 DDR3 Mobo IO MBD X8DTI F B Upgrade 672042043453 | eBay

$159 "New" SuperMicro X8DTE-CS045 Dual Socket LGA1366 Server Motherboard (may not have I/O shield, which I picked up elsewhere on Ebay for $8)
Supermicro X8DTE CS045 Dual Socket LGA1366 Server Motherboard "NEW" | eBay

$140 X8DTi-F SuperMicro Motherboard Dual Socket LGA1366 2 heatsinks / 2 Fans / I/O at cloudninjas

what do people think of some hot AMD deals on Ebay from 'itrecyclenow':

$70 for Supermicro H8QME-2+ Quad Socket Motherboard 4x AMD 8216 2.4GHz CPU w/ Heatsink

$50 for Supermicro H8QME-2+ Motherboard Quad Socket F Support AMD
Included: 4x AMD Opteron 8216 CPUs, 1 x Riser Card RSC-RR1U-E16 , 1 x AOC-SIMSO-Q Remote Management Card, (NO I/O Shield, NO Heatsink, NO Memory, NO Accessories)

Regards

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
The quad boards are hot, but the dual-core CPUs wouldn't make it much better than the 4x Opteron 875 that I own for almost 10 years :)

I just don't see myself justifying the electric power expense for the cores provided. And it is DDR2 which is expensive.

I'll probably get one of those x8dti boards since I just ruined one socket's memory bus on my x8DAi but my offer was declined for now :(

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
The quad boards are hot, but the dual-core CPUs wouldn't make it much better than the 4x Opteron 875 that I own for almost 10 years :)

I just don't see myself justifying the electric power expense for the cores provided. And it is DDR2 which is expensive.

I'll probably get one of those x8dti boards since I just ruined one socket's memory bus on my x8DAi but my offer was declined for now :(
Thanks uOpt for the feedback. I'm not that familiar with AMD CPUs performance, but specs on these CPUs suggest they could get hot, plus power needed to run 4 low performance CPUs could be excessive.

Seems many x8dti boards for sale on Ebay. Have you tried making offer to another seller?
Kind regards

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
No, I am not sure which way to go. Maybe I can live with one CPU socket worth of RAM. Maybe I should make this machine more modular so that downtime is allowed and I could unbend some socket pins under a strong looking glass.

If I were to switch to a X8DTi then I would also have to switch to a single graphics card with 3+ heads, which I don't have right now. Effectively I would switch from NVidia to AMD, which would end running Star Trek Online and has a bunch of other implications.

Mumble. Lazy.
Hi uOpt.

Sounds like you have way to much time on your hands, running Star Trek Online. Maybe the solution is a job or extra job to afford your old and new server and keep best of both worlds.

How about applying some creative/inspirational thinking to your situation?

What about doing some local advertising for computer repairs/upgrades? The new school year is approaching and parents will be accessing their IT needs. Heck, I put a Ocz 4 SDD in an 8yo laptop with a Celeron CPU and it went from a snail to moderately fast pace.

Rather than parents fork out for a new machine, you could turbo charge their old machine and they can keep old HDD for spare (saves buying for another operating system if HDD crashes!). I even saw the Acronis software on WD site: WD Support (Though site says you need a WD drive in your PC to use the software.)

This give me suggestions how I could raise some holiday cash. :)

I'm also considering the viability of using my accumulating server hardware to start up a 'gaming' party hire. I'll bring my server and guests can bring their desktops/laptops and let's party. Though I would need to do some further research on setting this up and gauging customer interest.

There is a few ideas to wet your appetite. Get creative and do your market research to access viability.
Start something good and who knows where you may end up.
I hope this helps.
Cheers

Last edited:

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Oh, I don't actually have time to play ST:O. It just bothers me when it doesn't work :)

I have money to buy a new server but the original i7s in socket 1366 are by far the best bang for the buck (only considering dual socket) - except for the terrible prices on all boards except the one this thread is about.

The CPU switch that wrecked one memory bank was to 3.6 GHz. A 3.6 GHz Nehalem (plus a tiny bit of turbo) is very hard to beat with anything newer that is reasonably priced.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm also considering the viability of using my accumulating server hardware to start up a 'gaming' party hire. I'll bring my server and guests can bring their desktops/laptops and let's party. Though I would need to do some further research on setting this up and gauging customer interest.
How cool would that be? Are there still games where people need a LAN server?