Supermicro X12STH-LN4F & iGPU Passthrough & IPMI/BMC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thn80

Aug 10, 2020
Hi,

is here someone with experience regarding the Supermicro X12 mainboards?

I would like to use an Intel Xeon E-2356G CPU (with integrated GPU) on the Supermicro X12STH-LN4F and are wondering if
  • it will be possible to forward the iGPU of the CPU via PCI passthrough to a VM (for video transcoding),
  • while the video of the remote console of the system is still accessible via IPMI.

I read that - at least in the past - some Supermicro mainboards were not able to provide video output via IPMI/BMC while the iGPU of the CPU was forwarded via PCI passthrough.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

Reactions: fitzpattywagon

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
it will be possible to forward the iGPU of the CPU via PCI passthrough to a VM (for video transcoding),
would be crazy if not. the iGPU of the CPU is not connected to any display output on this motherboard.

fitzpattywagon

Feb 15, 2019
By chance is anyone trying to get rid of this CPU/MOBO?? i am interested i somehow missed this platform and it would be perfect for what i need. Thanks!

Egis

Celeron
Dec 5, 2021
Hi,

is here someone with experience regarding the Supermicro X12 mainboards?

I would like to use an Intel Xeon E-2356G CPU (with integrated GPU) on the Supermicro X12STH-LN4F and are wondering if
  • it will be possible to forward the iGPU of the CPU via PCI passthrough to a VM (for video transcoding),
  • while the video of the remote console of the system is still accessible via IPMI.

I read that - at least in the past - some Supermicro mainboards were not able to provide video output via IPMI/BMC while the iGPU of the CPU was forwarded via PCI passthrough.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas
you wont be able to passthrough iGPU to VM in easy way as Intel doesnt use GVT-g anymore and relay on GVT-d which is a big pain at the moment because no proper drivers for Windows. I coudn't make it work with X12STH-F + E-2374G in my friends home LAB, ESXi 7.0 U3C was used to passthrough iGPU and when I install intel driver on Windows 10 VM after reboot Blue Screen.... Searh more forums with " Code 43 or SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD" using 11th Generation Intel processors, sames goes with 12th...... Example Passthrough of Intel Iris Xe Integrated GPU on 11th Gen NUC results in Error Code 43