Supermicro X11SRA-F stuck at postcode 32

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
I built a Supermicro X11SRA-F based workstation and upon first boot, the machine is stuck in an initialization loop with a post code of 32 which then changes to 31 after which the display blanks out for a few seconds and the initialization routine starts all over. The manual states that post codes 31 and 32 are memory related. I use a pair 16GB DDR4 modules which are non-ECC but which are definitely fully functional and I also read that this motherboard accepts non-ECC memory. I tried ECC modules which work fine and get the board to boot into bios. So, this seems to be a memory related issue, particularly related to non-ECC memory modules.

Does anyone run this particular board with non-ECC memory modules or can share their experience with similar boot post codes? I would appreciate if we could suppress a discussion of whether it is advised to use non-ECC memory in workstation machines.

Thanks

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Well, as far as i can see, the board only supports registered Memory.
Where did you read that udimms are fine?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
you are right. Though it reads wonky.
upload_2019-2-21_18-23-35.png

but the frontpage of the board does only show this:

upload_2019-2-21_18-25-38.png

no non ecc udimms mentioned. So from your and my experience i assume that the manual is wrong, or that supermicro is not holding up to what was promised to you.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On the X10SRA non ECC Udimms where only supported when used with Consumer level CPUs (i7 /w 2011-3) - so maybe sth similar applies here?
Which CPU are you using?

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
Can you show me a link to an example of a non ECC rdimm or an ECC udimm? I have yet to see any. Non Ecc according to my limited understanding implies a udimm module though I am not absolutely sure about that.

Either way no big deal its just that I had to pull some ECC rdimm modules from another server while waiting for additional ECC rdimm to arrive which I ordered. I always intended to run ECC rdimm on this machine in the long run.

you are right. Though it reads wonky.
View attachment 10502

but the frontpage of the board does only show this:

View attachment 10503

no non ecc udimms mentioned. So from your and my experience i assume that the manual is wrong, or that supermicro is not holding up to what was promised to you.

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
Xeon W-2123, you may have a point here. I chalk it up to an error in the manual unless non ECC rdimm exists which I have not seen and may have wrongly deduced that when they mention non ECC that they refer to non ECC udimm.

On the X10SRA non ECC Udimms where only supported when used with Consumer level CPUs (i7 /w 2011-3) - so maybe sth similar applies here?
Which CPU are you using?

Frank173

Feb 14, 2018
Sorry I did not make my point clearer. I have never seen non-ecc rdimm so when the manual claims that the motherboard accepts non ECC modules I strongly assumed that those can only be udimm (the non ECC ones). Would love to see a link to a non ECC ddr4 rdimm module, if it exists as someone earlier claimed.

Slightly more complicated than that - non-ECC RAM is, TTBOMK, always unbuffered but ECC RAM can come in registered (aka buffered) and unbuffered types - hence there are ECC UDIMMs and ECC RDIMMs.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Never heard of one of those either, wbile for UDimms you have both Non-Ecc and Ecc

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Maybe they ment Rdimms or LRdimms with ECC turned Off. I don't know why you should do that but you can i think.