SuperMicro X11SDV-12C-TLN2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Why would SuperMicro put the OCUlink port in such a place, when they know a PCIe card might be going there :/. So now I cant fit the system with an NVME drive. Any workarounds… Maybe a right angle adapter?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not enough space?
Not considered longer cards?
Expect usage of SM HBAs which might not have the issue?

My recent experiences say that they are not particularly considerate of non standard / not envisioned use-cases

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
HBAs are cheap compared to that board. Just replace it with one that has the ports on top instead of the side.

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Whats the point, may aswell just buy the rip off right angle adapter cable from SuperMicro, i allready have a HBA. I wonder if any females had an input in the design of the board, i doubt it haha. I'm sure they would have put a right angle connector on the mobo.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I'm sure you're going to receive a plethora of assistance on this forum by quickly going down the path of sexism. :rolleyes:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
That's why I talk more to my horse more than people these days, however this is a public forum which is indexed by search engines etc so it is usually wise to avoid breathing outside of the topic on hand, sometimes a compliment is misinterpreted quite easily LOL

Regarding a right angle occulink cable or even adapter, not seen one myself. Maybe you can do a heatgun job and slightly bend the hba at the end? if you're careful it can be done though it is a serious hack that could result in a damaged hba, I'd do it personally just out of boredom, if it don't work then you have an excuse to get a more suitable hba for the required clearance. ;)

Reactions: n00bftw

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
That's why I talk more to my horse more than people these days, however this is a public forum which is indexed by search engines etc so it is usually wise to avoid breathing outside of the topic on hand, sometimes a compliment is misinterpreted quite easily LOL

Regarding a right angle occulink cable or even adapter, not seen one myself. Maybe you can do a heatgun job and slightly bend the hba at the end? if you're careful it can be done though it is a serious hack that could result in a damaged hba, I'd do it personally just out of boredom, if it don't work then you have an excuse to get a more suitable hba for the required clearance. ;)
I don't think I'd get on too well with a heat gun haha. I found a few options anyhow, just contacted an EU 'Authorized Partner' to see if they can grab me one for cheaper than the below link. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Options:
1. OCuLink SFF-8611 Right Angle Male to OCuLink SFF-8611 Female Straight
2. CBL-SAST-0955 OCuLink to U.2 cable

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think SM's design assumes that this board would be installed in a 1U chassis and the PCIe card would be on a 90 degree riser, which would offset the card just enough for the oculink cable to fit. That doesn't solve your problem, of course, just noting that their design isn't actually wrong for the use case they had in mind.

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello @n00bftw o/

Which LSI raid card is that? It looks like the 8217-8i

You could always rip the bottom connector off :D

How many drives do you need?

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
It's a nice card so it would be a shame to do it harm anyway.

I have seen some slightly shorter cards from LSI and some with the connectors on the top.

I think they are slightly older cards. Still 6Gb but Pcie 2.0

You might have to get that expensive cable :(

What is this system? File server or storage?

it would be nice to see it. Maybe send some beauty shots to the DIY server pages

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Probably not ideal, but you could always get a flex-riser and place the card in one of the other “slot” spaces in the chassis. Probably not as mechanically secure as you’d like but at least you’d have it working.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Probably not ideal, but you could always get a flex-riser and place the card in one of the other “slot” spaces in the chassis. Probably not as mechanically secure as you’d like but at least you’d have it working.
Completely off/topic, kind of may even appear troll-like behaviour, but genuinely I been saying it for years, we need to just get shot of slots altogether, we need nice little optical sockets and then we can mount cards anywhere we desire, can you imagine a world where we finally let go of electrical data connects. We've gotten down from a gazillion IDE pins to a handful of serial pins, even PCI-E lanes are serial in nature! - mankind is finally ready to make the next real leap in computer architecture. If DFI was still around I bet they would listen to my ramblings.

Shareef Jalloq

May 27, 2018
@n00bftw, what did you do here in the end? I've just hit exactly the same issue after waiting 2 months to get the CBL-SAST-956. The 955 variant seems to have a very short data cable with a long power cable which is strange. And I can't find any local retailers with it in stock anyway.

Edit: just found an NEC 2308 card that looks a lot shorter than the HP H220 so have ordered that to try: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133882311098?hash=item1f2c01f1ba:g:OjsAAOSwuHthSJ8p

Last edited: