Supermicro X11DPH-T 3x 8-Pin Power?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

System48

Nov 29, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I'm looking at getting the X11DPH-T motherboard and it has 3x 8 PIN power connectors and the motherboard manual doesn't indicate you're ok without having all three connected. The product page specifies several chassis that have power distributors that only have 2x 8 PIN connectors, I'm specifically going to be using the 826 chassis. I'm assuming it will work fine with only two connected despite the manual not stating this?

admin4fun

Jul 10, 2017
I discovered the same issue, it isn't very clear at all. I cannot get the motherboard to power on, I've tried several configurations, 3x 4 pin in each 8 pin connector; 2x 8pin in two of the 8 pin near the CPU etc... the power supply clicks but never powers the board, as-if there is a short. The supply powers on via paper clip. Nothing else is connected, motherboard isn't even in a chassis, its sitting on glass. Obviously i have the 24 pin main power on albeit the plug is extremely stiff. I will try swapping CPU re-arranging & trying only CPU 1, to see if anything happens.

admin4fun

Jul 10, 2017
Well the manual states "You must also connect the 8-pin (JPWR1/JPWR2/JPWR4) power connectors to your power supply " and "PWR1, JPWR2 and JPWR4 are the 8-pin 12V DC power input for the CPU or alternative single power source for a special enclosure when the 24-pin ATX power is not in use" .... so this is ambiguous as hell.

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
I found this out when this board first came online and shared the spec on CHH forum back in September last year Skylake-SP双路绝配之X11DPG-QT和X11DPH-T规格简析-Chiphell, some guy over there also had the same question so he contacted SM engineer and received the following:
The 3rd 8-pin is only necessary for 255W TDP CPUs, only 2 8-pins are needed for dual <205W CPUs
So this board is apparently made to be future-approved since Cascade Lake-SP will have 245W SKUs and currently there is a 3.7G LGA 3647 undergoing test according to AT's Ian Cutress on Twitter. For Skylake-SP, however, you don't need the extra 8-pin.

Last edited:

admin4fun

Jul 10, 2017
Thanks jerrytsao! that's impressive detailed information! I'm running dual Xeon 8160, and I wasn't reaally thinking the 8-pin connectors were the issue, but helps for trouble shooting. Power supply clicks but never powers on seems to indicate something wrong with the connection/ground I would assume. There is nothing, connected to it; just 1 cpu; 1 stick of memory (not even cpu fan for the moment, which is also extremely ambiguous in the documentation ). I think the motherboard might be bad, suspect is the main 24-pin connector -.- unless anyone else can think why this might occur. I would assume missing/wrong memory would power up then beep etc..

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Just an FYI- my X11DPH-T works perfectly with dual 165W 28 core processors installed and only two 8-pin connectors (1 & 2) in use.

Ultimately, I repurposed 4x 12V & 4x gnd wires from PCIe connectors to the appropriate 8-molex connector for the third board connection, but this had no noticeable impact on performance.

admin4fun

Jul 10, 2017
Well I'm a jackass, the memory I was using was not ECC. This is embarrassing. I miss read the website as supporting multiple memory types including non-ecc. So I will amazon prime the correct memory.