Supermicro X11(S|D)Px bifurcation

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Rand__, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So I wanted to run a bifurcated card on my shiny new X11DPI-T and was... befuddled to say the least...

These are the options according to the manual (for each CPU):

CPU1 Configuration/CPU2 Configuration
    IOU0 (IIO PCIe Br1)
    This item configures the PCI-E Bifuraction setting for a PCI-E port specified by the user.
    The options are x4x4x4x4, x4x4x8, x8x4x4, x8x8, x16, and Auto

IOU1 (IIO PCIe Br2)
    This item configures the PCI-E Bifuraction setting for a PCI-E port specified by the user.

IOU2 (IIO PCIe Br3)

MCP0 (IIO PCIe Br4)
    The options are x16 and Auto

MCP1 (IIO PCIe Br5)
    The options are x16 and Auto

So after fiddling for a bit I mailed SM support and they sent me back a nifty little manual how to enable bifurcation. Turns out I was not the first (and will not be the last); so I thought I share it.

Basically you have to look up the CPU to Slot diagram in your boards manual, identify the n-th port per CPU and can then assign that specific port the desired bifurcation level. Things are made more complicated since all PCI-e lanes are listed here and only some are actual slots and only some are bifurcation capable to a certain degree (mostly because they are not bifurcated yet).

Attached Files:

2. bood

bood New Member

Did this work for you?

I have an X9DRi-F that exposes the same BIOS options, tried toggling them all, matched the block diagram to the slot, nada. It can only see 1 SSD. I don't care about booting from them, I know that would require adding an NVMe module to the UEFI (read: BIOS modding).

3. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Well it did work on the X11 board, not sure how it works on a X9.
    But I think there have been discussions re X9 bifurcation in other threads here...

bood likes this.