Supermicro X11-DPi-NT for $273 OBO. Shipping from CA extra.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Supermicro X11-DPi-NT for $273 OBO. Shipping from CA extra (seller pays for return shipping). Offer accepted at $260

This MB is better than the more common DPH because it has one pcie x16 tied to CPU1 so you can run a gfx card even if you only install one cpu. The -DPH MB has no pcie x16 tied to cpu1. Also, $273 is not bad given that this has dual 10Gbit LAN also...

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The X11DPH-T model would be the other dual CPU choice just for reference and comparison (as already eluded to by OP):

-DPH seems to be more commonly available. but the main disadvantage is that you cannot run a regular GPU needing x16 slot when you only install one CPU. This is a real problem more and more now because there are now less and less monitor with vga inputs. I think ASPEED needs to start making chips supporting DP or HDMI output.

The other thing is that -DPi has 14 SATA ports compared to only 10 SATA ports for the -DPH

Which is why the deal on this MB is very good!

Reactions: Aluminat and Samir

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This is a real problem more and more now because there are now less and less monitor with vga inputs. I think ASPEED needs to start making chips supporting DP or HDMI output.
ASPEED2600 supports DP, but the implementation is not simple, you have to talk to the display.
i never attach a VGA monitor to see the BMCs VGA signal.
work all over HTML5 (IPMI remote control)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Not sure why you'd go through the trouble of buying a dual CPU board and then only use one socket. Going to miss out on using three X16 slots that way.
Not using it for only one socket. But this is when i do the initial set up. You should always start with one cpu and one dimms to get the MB to "adapt" to your cpu and rams. There has been so many times in the past when I immediately installed both cpu and full ram load and it didn't boot. But if i starts from one cpu one ram, then building up the installation, then everything works

Reactions: Samir

nexox

May 3, 2023
I bought an import 5" 800x600 display with VGA/HDMI controller and printed a housing for it, for when I don't feel like dragging my 17" ebay special around.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
ASPEED2600 supports DP, but the implementation is not simple, you have to talk to the display.
i never attach a VGA monitor to see the BMCs VGA signal.
work all over HTML5 (IPMI remote control)
Doesn't help since ASPEED 2600 is not used in any of the older MB...

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Most monitors still support dvi-i if they have a dvi port, so an adapter like this is cheap and works well:

Or you can spend a more (lot more) and get a full blown vga to dp solution that should last for a long time:

Reactions: nexox

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Most monitors still support dvi-i if they have a dvi port, so an adapter like this is cheap and works well:

Or you can spend a more (lot more) and get a full blown vga to dp solution that should last for a long time:
DVI-VGA adapter is a one way street. The adapter is used to output from a DVI Output source to a vga input equipped monitor. It doesn't work for the other way around, going from a vga output source into a dvi input on a monitor.

VGA to displayport 1.2 converter is almost as expensive to get

nexox

May 3, 2023
DVI-VGA adapter is a one way street. The adapter is used to output from a DVI Output source to a vga input equipped monitor.
The website pretty clearly says "Use your DVI-I Display with a VGA video card". DVI-I carries all VGA signals so you can convert either way with passive connectors, though this direction is far less common.

Reactions: RolloZ170 and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
DVI-VGA adapter is a one way street. The adapter is used to output from a DVI Output source to a vga input equipped monitor. It doesn't work for the other way around, going from a vga output source into a dvi input on a monitor.

VGA to displayport 1.2 converter is almost as expensive to get
You're talking about most adapters. The one I linked to is specifically for a VGA source to a DVI-I monitor.

If you have a lot of VGA sources, using something like that adapter with a VGA KVM is about as cheap as it gets. But this is why there is IMPI in the first place though--to avoid having to connect a monitor at all.

Reactions: nexox

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The website pretty clearly says "Use your DVI-I Display with a VGA video card". DVI-I carries all VGA signals so you can convert either way with passive connectors, though this direction is far less common.
Good luck finding a monitor with DVI-I input. They're all DVI-D.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I stand partially corrected..lol. But the concern still remains that many monitors (esp even more so with newer ones) with DVI inputs might not have be able to accept analog signal through their DVI since most of the reason why monitor manufacturers would have a dvi input on their monitor in first place is to move away from vga analog signal.

Also, this adapter with its analog signal would not let you use a dvi-HDMI adapter to connect to HDMI inputs on most new monitors because HDMI is all digital signals. So this adapter still leaves a lot of concern and compatibility with newer hardwares that are mostly digital only

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I've found that most anything with a DVI will accept both I and D. ymmv.
Still doesn't leave the fact that you can't use it with dvi-hdmi adapter so you can use most of the newer monitors which has hdmi inputs.