Supermicro X11 and RAM selection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

captain_fail

Dec 8, 2015
Hi experts!

I'm leaving the consumer realm after too many years of wasting money on cheap hardware with lots of blinking lights and no build quality. I have a SM X11SSH-F on order to pair with an E3-1220 v5. This will be my first SM motherboard and I am wondering just how picky they are with RAM. The QVL lists only two 16GB sticks that will work, a Hynix and a Samsung module. How dangerous would it be to buy Crucial (Micron) even if they are not in the QVL?

Crucial's configurator comes up with "Compatible" modules for this board, but I'd bet this is based only on the superficial characteristics like being 288pin DDR4, unbufferred ECC, 1.2v, but not on any real-world verification that it will work. Having read the forum posts of people's problems with Kingston swapping the underlying chips and them not working in SM X10 boards, I'm wondering just how picky the SM boards are, and how important it is to stick with the QVL. I'd buy the Hynix/Samsung memory if I could find it, but as of now the only memory I can find that fits the specs for this board is from Crucial.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Laszlo P

Dec 9, 2015
Hi experts!

I'm leaving the consumer realm after too many years of wasting money on cheap hardware with lots of blinking lights and no build quality. I have a SM X11SSH-F on order to pair with an E3-1220 v5. This will be my first SM motherboard and I am wondering just how picky they are with RAM. The QVL lists only two 16GB sticks that will work, a Hynix and a Samsung module. How dangerous would it be to buy Crucial (Micron) even if they are not in the QVL?

Crucial's configurator comes up with "Compatible" modules for this board, but I'd bet this is based only on the superficial characteristics like being 288pin DDR4, unbufferred ECC, 1.2v, but not on any real-world verification that it will work. Having read the forum posts of people's problems with Kingston swapping the underlying chips and them not working in SM X10 boards, I'm wondering just how picky the SM boards are, and how important it is to stick with the QVL. I'd buy the Hynix/Samsung memory if I could find it, but as of now the only memory I can find that fits the specs for this board is from Crucial.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Laszlo P

Dec 9, 2015
Hi captain_fail,
For Now, I don't have an answer as to what memory works, but I'm experimenting with G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2133 and 2400, both 32GB sets, and my Board has yet to POST. [My board is X11SSZ-QF] not exactly the same as yours, but I'm betting not far from your chipset .
Maybe this helps.

Last edited:

captain_fail

Dec 8, 2015
Laszlo,

The memory specs for your X11SSZ-QF differ from my X11SSH-F. Check the link here on SM's site. You'll need to get Non-ECC DDR4 at 2133/1866/1600MHz and 1.2V. Check the specs on your RAM to see if these basic specs match. However, even though the basic specs do match, there may still be issues, as others have had in the past with SM X10 boards and Kingston memory.

The Crucial website tells me that they have "guaranteed compatible" memory for my X11SSH-F, and since sourcing the officially sanctioned Hynix or Samsung modules from SM's QVL is proving difficult, I'm likely to go ahead and order from Crucial. All the basic specs match what is in the motherboard manual, but I'm no expert on RAM and I suppose there are some deeper details that could affect compatibility.

pbelf

Dec 9, 2015
Yes it works.

I've got a X11SSH-LN4F and I've got 2 x 16Gb Crucial 2133 ECC UDIMM installed and working. The Crucial ram was all I could get hold of. The board sees it as Micron 18ASF2G72AZ-2G1A1

I'm still waiting on my Xeon E3 v5 to turn up so I'm just testing it out with the a G4400 at the moment.

Reactions: captain_fail

William

May 7, 2015
I just ran the X11SSQ here, my normal ECC kits I use for everything would not work, the system would not boot. We ended up getting Crucial 4GB sticks non-ECC memory and it worked fine than.

I know it says non-ECC on the spec's page but so does many X99 boards and ECC works just fine on those so I figured just slap the ECC stuff in and see what happens.

Laszlo P

Dec 9, 2015
The memory specs for your X11SSZ-QF differ from my X11SSH-F. Check the link here on SM's site. You'll need to get Non-ECC DDR4 at 2133/1866/1600MHz and 1.2V. Check the specs on your RAM to see if these basic specs match. However, even though the basic specs do match, there may still be issues, as others have had in the past with SM X10 boards and Kingston memory.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi captain_fail,
I realized I need to pay closer attention to the specs on the Supermicro site, Ordered a third set of 32GB memory, we'll see
if that's going to be the solution or not.

Regards, Laszlo.

Laszlo P

Dec 9, 2015
X11SSZ-QF Board is booting well with the latest acquisition of 32GB Crucial memory. [CT7757084]
Crucial 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4-2133 UDIMM upgrades for X11SSZ-QF Motherboard, CT7757084 from Crucial.com

captail_fail mentioned the Crucial website having the "Crucial Advisor Tool", wright on the front page, that helped locating the appropriate
memory.
The Supermicro TechSupport guys also mentioned this Tool to be OK reliable.

That got me where I wanted to be, Things are gelling along.

Thanks for the support fellows. Laszlo P