Supermicro X10SRM-F and M.2 SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boris

May 16, 2015
Hello colleagues, maybe someone can give me some idea or at least a direction. Because mine is over.

I must say right away that I had this motherboard for a couple of years. Until I decided that I didn't need a home server and sold it. But recently I saw an interesting offer on Ebay and decided to take advantage of it, and now, my beauty, is with me again.

Problem: I'm installing an M.2 NVMe SSD into M.2 slot. and trying to install Proxmox, but at a random moment the system reboots, and the motherboard buzzer starts beeping continuously.
If I turn computer off (via IPMI, Power Off or Power button at my case), and then turn it on a bit later, the continuous beeping continues. It continues until, at the initialization stage, the motherboard starts making its own POST sounds.

Here are the steps I took to deal with this problem:
Aside from many attempts to get out and into the room, at first I disconnect all other SATA drives and PCIe devices (Quadro P400, ASUS STX II sound card, USB controller). I tried to install Promox again, the problem persisted.
Then I flashed an older BIOS version, from 2019 (the current one was 2021). The problem persisted.
The only jumper I've found on the motherboard that has any connection with M.2 was JP3, to Enable or Disable I2C for M.2
I could not figure out what is it I2C and what for it needed (i read description, but it gave me around nothing), but it was the only clue to M.2 and i switched it to the Disabled position.
I tried installing Proxmox and everything went smoothly. I even rebooted and everything worked, Proxmox loaded.
This seemed like a win to me, but I had to return the jumper to its original position to make sure that this was the problem.
I returned it to its original position and the new Proxmox installation ended with a sudden reboot and continuous beeping. Victory...

I reinstalled the latest BIOS version, checked the Proxmox installation again - everything went smoothly.
I installed all the PCIe cards from list, reconnected all SATA drives.
I did another installation of Proxmox, but again it ended with a sudden reboot between 70 and 80% and a continuous beep.
I pulled out all the PCIe devices again and disconnected all SATA drives again, but this did not change anything. The system spontaneously reboots and beeps continuously when trying to install Proxmox.
Yes, it seems I installed Proxmox a lot of times, but since the problem first appeared at this stage, I decided that it would be correct to check stability this way.
And I'm running out of ideas now...

On the forum, I saw a topic about the disappearance of M.2 SSD, there @diogin who has an X11SRM board and his investigation showed that the problem is that if there is no fan in the FANA zone, the system decides that M.2 cannot be usable .
But I have 4 out of 6 fans connected, including to FANA, and they all run at 1000 rpm and this does not cause alarms. In addition @diogin did not describe symptoms like spontaneous reboots and continuous beeps.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I could not figure out what is it I2C and what for it needed (i read description, but it gave me around nothing), but it was the only clue to M.2 and i switched it to the Disabled position.
I tried installing Proxmox and everything went smoothly. I even rebooted and everything worked, Proxmox loaded.
Questions only ...no answers unfortunately:

If things worked fine with JP3 disabled ... why did you not end up leaving it in that position?
"Reconnected all SATA drives" - does this include SATA0?? Pick NVMe slot or SATA0, not both.

If possible, try a PCIe to NVMe slot adapter in slot #4 - direct CPU .. not going through PCH and may allow SATA0 to be used as well.

Boris

May 16, 2015
If things worked fine with JP3 disabled ... why did you not end up leaving it in that position?
No, of course I left it in the Disabled position. I only changed it back to Enabled once for a test to make sure it was the problem.

"Reconnected all SATA drives" - does this include SATA0?? Pick NVMe slot or SATA0, not both.
No, SATA0 not populated.

If possible, try a PCIe to NVMe slot adapter in slot #4 - direct CPU .. not going through PCH and may allow SATA0 to be used as well.
I don't have such adapter at hands. But even if it works, it won't be a solution, because all the PCIe slots populated.

With the previous motherboard everything worked just like a charm (all slots populated by M.2 + Quadro + Dual LAN + LSI RAID). However, I had a 22110 NVMe with PLP.
This time I have a consumer SSD WD SN730 and also i tried ADATA XPG with same result.