SuperMicro X10SRL with E5-v4 CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Hello,

I have a question, I'm in the process of finalizing my purchase list for server upgrade. I'm going to order SuperMicro X10SRL-F and E5-2620v4 CPU - each of them from different supplier. On the SuperMicro website, the support for E5-v4 CPUs is stated to be with BIOS version above 2.0, but I have no control over which BIOS version will the MB have. And I don't have any E5-v3 CPU to fallback to boot and update the BIOS.

My question is: even if the MB comes with BIOS version bellow 2.0, and when I install E5-v4 CPU, will the MB boot? Will I then be able to update the BIOS?

Thank a lot for your answers...

Jiri

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Most likely no, but you can obtain the Bios Key for IPMI and update the bios with that - should be around 20 bucks

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have this MB and they came with 1.0 BIOS. PITA. Unless you are getting really old stock it should come with the 2.0 BIOS by now.

With a 1.x bios and a v4 chip it might POST - but it will be so unstable as to be unusable. I certainly wouldn't trust it to be stable to enough to get a BIOS flash done. You'd likely end up with a brick for a MB.

As @Rand_ points out, the BIOS chip is pluggable and SM support will get you a 2.0 BIOS chip (for a fee). You could also buy the license key and do a BMC-based update - you don't need a CPU plugged in for that. Easiest, of course, is to just use a V3 chip temporarily and flash it, but even low-end v3 ES chips are hard to find under $150 right now.

Reactions: Patrick

archangel.dmitry

Sep 11, 2015
US
If you purchased the board with warranty, send it to SM. They will update it for you. You have to pay for shipping though.

I might want to consider X10SRI-F because it has better ethernet controllers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hzz