Supermicro X10SRI-F and AOC-SLG3-2E (-4, -4R, -4T)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Meta2

Jan 24, 2021
Hi everyone!

I ask your help about Supermicro X10SRI-F and AOC-SLG3-2E (-4, -4R, -4T)

I have some servers based on Supermicro X10SRI-F motherboard. Server cases are CSE-825TQ-R720LPB, which have two non-hot plug disk cages.
I want to run VmWare vSAN on this servers, and i want to place VmWare cache on two NVMe SSDs, placed in non-hot plug cages.

So I started to explore, which AOC card is better for my case, and found that there are three suitable cards (see full table here):

Add-on Card Part Number
# of ports
PCIe GenPCIe LengthTypeSupported OSPort type
AOC-SLG3-2E423.0x8SwitchWin, Linuxmini-SAS HD
AOC-SLG3-2E4R23.0x8RedriverWin, Linux, VmWaremini-SAS HD
AOC-SLG3-2E4T23.0x8RetimerWin, Linux, VmWareOcuLink

I do not need any hot plug connections to cache SSDs. It's OK, if they will have cabled connection.

I asked local distributor (I am in Russia) to help me choose proper AOC card.

Distributor said:
AOC-SLG3-2E4R - STRICTLY NO, because AOC-SLG3-2E4R is a redriver, and there will be problems with bifurcation.
AOC-SLG3-2E4 (without "R") - much better, but I do not see it ad compatible device with VmWare.
AOC-SLG3-2E4T - good as AOC-SLG3-2E4, have compatible with VmWare, but I need to buy OcuLink cables. In Russia it is a problem to buy OcuLink cables.

Now about AOC-SLG3-2E4R - I have read some documentation, like Supermicro site, and found that X10SRI-F support bifurcation options.
To turn on bifurcation you shoud go to Advanced >>Chipset Configuration>>North Bridge>>IIO Configuration>>II01 Configuration in BIOS and turn it on (see here).

About AOC-SLG3-2E4 (without "R") Supermico site says that "X10SRI-F does not support this add on NVME card because it does not have the JNVI2C1 header needed to connect the CBL-CDAT-0674 cable to recognize the card." (see here)
Also, Supermicro site says that "The VPP (JNV12C) cable is required for NVMe hot-plug features." (see here). I don't need any hot plug features, I just need fast storages for cache.

About AOC-SLG3-2E4T installed in X10SRI-F there is no information in Internet, but local distributor said that AOC-SLG3-2E4T is the best choise.

Help me, please, to choose proper card!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I also would recommend the 2E4T as I had the least problems with those, but o/c we don't have issues with availability of the OCulink cables here.

I think I had issues with the 2E4 on older Xeon D boards, so its not without issues.

For neither of the boards you need support for VMWare as they are invisible to the OS if they work properly, so thats not an issue.