Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F and M.2 drive - is this normal ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Waldek

Apr 3, 2016
Hi Guys,

I am confused.... Recently I have installed M.2 NVMe drive (Samsung 960 EVO) into the built-in M.2 slot of the Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F motherboards in my homelab. This is a homelab for experimentation and educational purposes, so the servers are being shutdown from time to time. I was actually surprised to learn that in the motherboard's BMC mode - I mean when the servers are turned off, but with IPMI active and the server being remotely accessible - there is still some amount of heat produced. I could understand this was coming from the AST2400 BMC chip, but it turned out that in that mode, the hottest element on the motherboard is... the M.2 drive. I measured its temperature and it was ca. 46-47 C (and the drive has heatsink installed, so without it I guess it could be even a few degrees more). I have 4 of those boards and each of them behaves in this way.

Is this normal ?

I cannot connect the dots and understand why the BMC chip would want to use the drive to anything. The funny thing is that when the server is idle the drive's temperature is around 40C (so the drive is hotter when officially "not working" then when idling, sic!). This I can understand as the server's cooling is active then (chassis and CPU fan working, etc.). The fans in my custom built chassis could operate independently from the servers, but until now I never really needed to use it.

I do not have a detailed power measurement tool, but in the BMC mode the motherboard seems to consume ca. 1-2 W more when the M.2 drive is in.

I have the latest Supermicro BIOS/firmware and have the active state power management settings enabled (but not sure if they are in operation in the BMC mode).

I am sure I am missing something (maybe some combination of BIOS/firmware settings causes this ?), so any comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Waldek

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I can only say I had a similar experience:
Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Starting at #23.

I never really pursued it further and have used the M.2 SSD in the
PCIe slot adapter instead of the onboard M.2 slot.

Waldek

Apr 3, 2016
I can only say I had a similar experience:
Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

Starting at #23.

I never really pursued it further and have used the M.2 SSD in the
PCIe slot adapter instead of the onboard M.2 slot.
Ah, of course, stupid me - you are right @Netwerkz101 - the BMC chipset is just beneath the M.2 drive, so the drive (and in my case its heatsink) simply becomes the chipset's heatspreader ;-) I have thought the BMC is under that 2nd heatsink, next to the NICs. In that case, maybe it makes sense to put some thermalpad in-between the two or even a fan working independently from the motherboard.

Uff, happy to hear there is no magic in life :)

Thanks again !

Cheers,
Waldek