supermicro X10DRI-t4+ bios update help needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
I Just bought this X10DRI-T4+ motherboard and though it said it was v4 ready it did not work. I bought some v3 chips and still not getting anywhere. It boots to this PEI screen and stops. No bios option to boot from a freeDOS usb. With the v3 cpus it will boot to a pei screen which does allow me to get into its web page (BMC?).

bought 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 V3 (because I read that if you don't have bios 2 you need a v3 chip, this doesn't get me to bios but does get the web page working)
Will use 2x Intel Xeon E5-2697A V4

boot.jpg

boot screen

main.jpg
Main screen with BIOS Version

I went to the update bios and uploaded what I believe the correct file to be:

\X10DRC1.521\UEFI\X10DRC1.521

update.jpg

In the update image you can see this took me to BIOS_FW 5/21/2021 Rev 3.4

But in the main system screen the bios still shows the 1.0b after several boots.

firmware.jpg

I also have the file to update the firmware:

IPMI_FW from 01.85 to 03.93

But I feel like I should not do this until the main screen shows the correct bios version? Or do I need to do this update as well. (The website says Please update to the latest Aspeed VGA driver in your OS before upgrading IPMI firmware. which i cannot find)

The bios update got me a little further along, now when the motherboard boots it boots with the supermicro image, but I can still not get into bios or boot from USB to boot freeDOS or install truenas.

Please help me and let me know what steps I need to do next?

Supermicro how to update bios - Here's how we do it (bobcares.com)
Supermicro youtube how to
Firmware Resources | Support (supermicro.com) - Bios
Firmware Resources | Support (supermicro.com) - BMC Firmware

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Bios version in ipmi gets updated once the system can boot/post correctly.
In the last screenshot the box to keep the previous settings is checked. Usually when I update the bios or ipmi firmware I reset everything to the default settings and configure it for my needs (keeing the previous settings caused me trouble on multiple occsions)

To be honest I can't tell the code/the current messsage in the first screenshot and can't tell what to do :D

Edit: fixed typo post instead of port :D

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I bought some v3 chips and still not getting anywhere. It boots to this PEI screen and stops
so you can't even get to BIOS screen or Boot with V3 ??? something wrong then.
if you flashed to latest BIOS and have no working CPU the IPMI WebGUI shows you BIOS ver.from last successful POST, unless you get a successful POST with the new.

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
Bios version in ipmi gets updated once the system can boot/post correctly.
In the last screenshot the box to keep the previous settings is checked. Usually when I update the bios or ipmi firmware I reset everything to the default settings and configure it for my needs (keeing the previous settings caused me trouble on multiple occsions)

To be honest I can't tell the code/the current messsage in the first screenshot and can't tell what to do :D

Edit: fixed typo post instead of port :D
Everything was unchecked for the update, sorry didn't uncheck for the screenshot.
code is off the screen, but looks like D0

boot screen.jpg

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
so you can't even get to BIOS screen or Boot with V3 ??? something wrong then.
if you flashed to latest BIOS and have no working CPU the IPMI WebGUI shows you BIOS ver.from last successful POST, unless you get a successful POST with the new.
so because it is not booting to bios, it is not taking the upgrade. I possibly have a bad motherboard or bad cpus?

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
have you done a AC power cycle ? if yes you have a non working board.
what memory have you ?
Yes this is day 3. it has been powered off overnight, 2 nights now.

8x M386A4G40DM1-CRC Samsung 32GB PC4-2400T 4DRx4 DDR4-19200 ECC LRDIMM Reg Memory

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
I would try a single v3 cpu and if it get stuck on 0xd0 again I would try the other cpu.
OMG it works. (2nd try CPU) the original cpu in the CPU1 slot did not boot, soon as I took out CPU1 and put the CPU2 in it booted past where it was. I turned it back off after i got past the bios screen, i think it updated, there were a whole bunch of codes on the side. I will secure the heat sink properly and continue on. will keep you updated

Reactions: i386 and RolloZ170

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
I would try a single v3 cpu and if it get stuck on 0xd0 again I would try the other cpu.
Thank you so much. I am booted up to Bios. It is showing my E5-2697A V4 dual chips and bios as well as bmc firmware have been updated.

my lesson of the day is a dual cpu motherboard will boot up with just 1 cpu.

Thanks all for your extremely fast help and patience

pjp115

Jan 1, 2023
Was that because of bad CPU or bad socket?
It was indeed 1 bad CPU. Never had a bad one before, but I can no longer say that.

The server is installed with TrueNAS and has the 9300-16i with 10 x 14TB hdd. Sadly that is as far as I am as I am terrible with setting up TrueNAS permissions. But as far as this thread is concerned, ALL the hardware I have now is working.